Jump to content
  • Welcome Guest!

    Founded in 2001, CheersandGears.com is one of the oldest continuously running automotive enthusiast communities on the net. 

    Sign up is free and easy, come join the fun!

  • William Maley
    William Maley

    Mazda Plans a New Crossover For the U.S.

    To be built in the U.S. as well

    In a recent interview with Automotive News, Mazda CEO Masamichi Kogai revealed that the company is working on an all-new crossover designed and built exclusively in the U.S.

    "We are actually going to introduce a totally new and different type of SUV. R&D is coordinating with our North American operations on that right now," said Kogai.

    He said the new model would slot into Mazda's current crossover lineup (CX-3, CX-5, and CX-9) and would not cannibalize the sales of any of the current models. Production will begin in 2021 at a plant that will be a joint venture between Mazda and Toyota. Mazda is planning to dedicate its entire capacity of 150,000 vehicles for this new model.

    It is unclear what this crossover could be, but some believe it could be the successor to the the CX-7.

    Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
    Photo Credit: William Maley for Cheers and Gears


    Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

    User Feedback


    Could be some sort of FJ Cruiser successor that is more of an off roader than the current crop of crossovers.  But they wouldn't sell 150,000 of those unless it was like $20,000 version of the TJ Cruiser concept that Toyota had.

    I think for sure they could do a CX-7 midsize crossover, the CX-5 is 179 inches long, the CX-9 is 199 inches long, so I would say they are missing a 189 inch long crossover, which is at the heart of the market.

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    19 hours ago, ocnblu said:

    Yes of course, that would mean they've given up on being Mazda and decided to join a golf club.

    Well, as long as there is somewhere to put the balls......

    • Haha 2

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    It's not like the CX-9 is particularly roomy inside even though it is as big as a Grand Cherokee outside. I'm not sure they need something between 5 and 9 unless it is a substantially different crossover formula. 

    • Like 1
    • Upvote 2

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    On 11/25/2017 at 2:47 PM, smk4565 said:

    I think for sure they could do a CX-7 midsize crossover, the CX-5 is 179 inches long, the CX-9 is 199 inches long, so I would say they are missing a 189 inch long crossover, which is at the heart of the market.

    1

    You always look at a car in a single dimension.

    • Like 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    14 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

    The problem is the naming inconsistency they currently have...3,5,9 with 7 missing.   

    I totally agree, yet they could ignoring length that some people singularly always look at could do a CX-7 EV or CX-7 Hybrid that would be about the same interior space as the CX-9 and yet allow them to have that alternative powertrain that they need.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    4 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

    You always look at a car in a single dimension.

    The CX-9 is as large as the first generation Traverse, and the CX-5 is smaller than an Equinox.  That is a huge gap in size and in price point.  

    And length is usually a good way to size class cars because most cars are similar in width, unless you are comparing a Kia Rio to an Escalade, and most sedans are the same height, most crossovers the same height, etc.  Wheelbase and length is what changes.

    2 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

    The problem is the naming inconsistency they currently have...3,5,9 with 7 missing.   

    The real problem here is no CX-4 crossover coupe and CX-6 grand crossover coupe and CX-8 convertible crossover (with a wankle engine)

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    Just now, smk4565 said:

    The CX-9 is as large as the first generation Traverse, and the CX-5 is smaller than an Equinox.  That is a huge gap in size and in price point.  

    And length is usually a good way to size class cars because most cars are similar in width, unless you are comparing a Kia Rio to an Escalade, and most sedans are the same height, most crossovers the same height, etc.  Wheelbase and length is what changes.

    Exactly... you're so one dimensional.  Overall length has only a partial bearing on interior spaciousness.  The CX-9 may be as large as the first gen Traverse externally, but it is nowhere near as roomy inside.  

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    17 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

     

    The real problem here is no CX-4 crossover coupe and CX-6 grand crossover coupe and CX-8 convertible crossover (with a wankle engine)

    Definitely...and no CX-1 the size of a Trax and CX-2 crossover coupe...

    • Haha 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    What Mazda needs is a competitor to this, and I would call it the CX-SubZero "so cool it's below freezing"

    volkswagen-t-cross-breeze-01.jpeg

    And I actually think that might be the best looking crossover there is at any price.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    10 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

    It's not like the CX-9 is particularly roomy inside even though it is as big as a Grand Cherokee outside. I'm not sure they need something between 5 and 9 unless it is a substantially different crossover formula. 

    EV! EV!

    A great handling Bolt!!!:D

    1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

    What Mazda needs is a competitor to this, and I would call it the CX-SubZero "so cool it's below freezing"

    volkswagen-t-cross-breeze-01.jpeg

    And I actually think that might be the best looking crossover there is at any price.

    Looks like a pregnant Miata......so I'm going with no on that one.....

    • Like 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I imagine something mazda6 sized in accommodations inside, but not a sedan.  So basically, something that will sell, unlike the Mazda6, which doesn't really.

    • Like 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I bet is a rework of the JDM CX-8. In fact that's the only thing that makes any sense if the car is expected to be exclusively a Mazda. But that is an implicit LIE.

    I strongly believe that it's not a Mazda platformed at all, and it's based on a Toyota platform.

    Which makes me think it will be a Toyota skinned as a Mazda.

    • Like 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites


    Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

    Guest
    You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×