MC decision....

Some of you may know (or remember) that, a couple of months ago, I had a decision to make. That decision has finally been made...for about a week or so.

Story refresh:

Back in 2001 (when Gram was still alive), I discovered that one of her best friends from high school, Ruby, had a '79 MC. Long story short ... Gram told me to tell Ruby about my collection and that I'd be interested in her '79 if she ever decided to sell it. I did.

When the time came for her to sell it about 4 years ago, I didn't have the money ... and her grandson and great grandson "wanted" it, to keep it in the family.... Ruby didn't want her great grandson to have it; she wanted ME to have it. Anyway, right before she died (about 3 years ago) I saw her, and she reiterated that she wished her grandson and great grandson had not wanted it because, as far as she knew, they weren't using it or driving it much.....

Fast forward to earlier this year ... Doug, Ruby's grandson, called me to say that his son, Ruby's great grandson, does not want the car anymore...and that they want me to buy it.

After many Emails back'n'forth about the condition of the car and additional pictures, I have decided to buy it. Trouble NOW is that the car is in Arkansas, and the weekends I am available in the next few months, they are not...and vice versa. So, it may be a while until it actually is OFFICIAL, but they know I will buy it. Course, I suppose I'm jinxing myself here, but I'm taking that chance....

Since I will have to save more money (tough to do with medical and other bills), this decision means a few things will have to wait a while longer, including...

* a 1987 Monte Carlo SS (Aerocoupe, perhaps?)

* a 1975 Caprice Classic convertible

* my own home with a huge garage....

However, I'm still in the market for a winter beater...'86-'88 MC LS, '87 Cutlass Supreme, '77-'79 Caprice Classic, or '89-'90 Caprice 9C1...particularly because I saw a bit more rust on my '87 Monte Carlo LS when I washed, waxed and cleaned the interior this past Saturday, June 14....

Some pictures of what may/will soon be a new addition to my Monte Carlo family:

http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/mc1979b/mc1979b.html

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Let's don't let a good thing die" ... Elvis Presley ... 'Suspicious Minds'

Good luck and congratulations to you Cort. It is always exciting to get a new car. Is it in the shape to be driven from Arkansas to where you live? That part might scare me a little bit but I would likely choose to drive it anyway. As for the rust on the '87, thats the trouble with driving an old car in winter. Ran into that with the 1979 Impala. I may drive the '81 after March 16th 2009 after I turn the Equinox in but by then the worst of it will be done. And that will only be for maybe a month or 2. Drive the '81 and '85 through the summer of 2009 then decide what to do in fall of 2009. I would love to aquire a 2006 or newer Impala either through leasing or purchasing. We will have to see how this one pans out.

Thank you, 2005 E! Yes, indeed, it is exciting...and to have the history behind it, too.

Yes, it is in top shape to be driven from Arkansas to Illinois, so not worried about that at all. Just finding the time to go get it, is all.

Hope to find a winter beater this year...we'll see what happens.

Good luck with deciding on what you will be doing, too!

"Time slips away" ... Bruce Springsteen ... 'Glory Days'

I forgot. There is always the lawn tractor for those neighborhood jaunts.

LOL!

Yeah, but I'm thinking that might be a bit cold in the winter...no?

"I know you can hear me, but I'm not sure you're listening" ... Martina McBride ... 'Whatever You Say'

Thats what they make coats for. I am sure one could design a cabover type deal also. Find some way to funnel the engine heat into it and there we would go. Hee Heeee. A full 18 horses of raw barely muffled power. 6speeds and its even RWD too.

*raises eyebrow*

I like your thinking!

But but but ... what about highway speeds?

"Believe half of what you see" ... Marvin Gaye ... 'I Heard It Through The Grapevine'

I guess we cant have everything. :AH-HA_wink: Wonder if you could gear it to go that fast? Probably not with a 18 horse motor. Tim Taylor to the rescue!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, "Tim Taylor" would probably squeeze a hilborne injected

454 Chevy Big Block into a toaster oven just to have his toast

done in 2.7 sec. versus the usual 45.0 sec.

Yeah, "Tim Taylor" would probably squeeze a hilborne injected

454 Chevy Big Block into a toaster oven just to have his toast

done in 2.7 sec. versus the usual 45.0 sec.

LOL!

They came up with a lot of crazy stuff on that show, so I wouldn't be a bit surprised. He he ... I'm ready for a "reunion" of sorts of that show!

I forgot about Wilson dying. Maybe somebody to replace him? I dont know if the rider needs a 454 because 18 horses were enough to cut the field in bacl and it also is able to pop a little bit of a wheelie. I let the clutch out a bit too fast in 3rd and raised the front wheels about 2 inches. I sure loved Home Improvment. One of the last good TV shows to come out. Al is also funny in his own way.

Wilson did had a niece named Willow. Though we have to remember the Taylors moved to Indiana so maybe they wouldnt know Wilson had died.

Wilson did had a niece named Willow. Though we have to remember the Taylors moved to Indiana so maybe they wouldnt know Wilson had died.

I didn't know about Wilson's niece...or, if I did, I had forgotten.

And...they moved to Indiana? I don't remember that either...or, was that the series finale?

And, gm4life...thank you :).

The series fanale told that. They took the house with them. Also a good luck from me with the new 1979 Monte Carlo. May the ride back be uneventful. It may seem redundant to have 2 1979s but the brown one has the 305 yet. Right? It will still be a nice experience to get it. People look at my 2 and think they are the same car. Yes they are but they dont really drive the same.

Ah....I guess I missed the series finale, then...or I had just forgotten what happened...lol.

And, thanks. It should be uneventful, I'm told it is road worthy. I believe it is the 305, but I'll have to double check. Indeed, it will be a nice experience...and it has a few things different than my current '79 MC...along with the color, of course ;).

It will be cool to get another one of these. People always diss the late 70's and early 80's GM cars but I like them better than most any GMs out there. Though I do like most of the new stuff. I dont really get into the 50's and 60's too much though a friend does has a nice 1963 Impala. I find the late 70's and 80's ones easier to live with on a daily basis if the need comes.