2004 GMC Canyon

tama z71

2004 GMC CANYON

2-year Update

A Tama Review

September 2, 2006

Happy Anniversary!!

That's pushing it, but I've had my truck for two years now. How's it holding up? Well, contrary to media contentions, the truck is solid and I still get the grins when it's parked in that picture perfect stance (you know the one I'm talking about).

Overview

After two years, the Canyon has done everything I've asked of it. It hasn't gotten stuck (despite ski-lift duties), it hasn't run out of gas on the highway (city streets a different story, though), and it has always been a reliable work truck.

Mechanical

Mechanically the truck is solid. The four-wheel drive is unstoppable, and has not had a problem since the disengagement fiasco I reported on in my review a year ago. The engine has always had enough to get me around, and lacks only in high-speed acceleration maneuvers (those can get scary on the Baltimore Beltway). Other than the engineering nitpicks, there hasn't been a single mechanical problem, small or otherwise.

Interior

Well, what else would you expect here? It sucks. The hard-plastic dashboard has proven to be a non-issue, as it makes no noise and I tend to drive with my hands on the wheel. The super-gray color scheme drove me nuts, so I took it upon myself to paint the door-handle bezels, center stack and vent covers to match the body (which should be a factory option all the way). The seats are unbearable, and the manual lumbar-support knob will not stay at the desired setting. Best option? Get rid of the seats for the redesign. On the other hand, the truck is still terribly roomy. At 6'3, I can still stretch out all the way. Nice.

Where comfort is lacking, ease is packing (what?). The ergonomics continue to be some of the best I've ever experienced. Every button is intuitively placed, the gauges are at-a-glance easy to read, and since I painted it white, the lights from the buttons cast a cool glow across the center stack at night (remember that one). It could use a few more neat touches, though (better center console or an overhead head). That much is just bitch-mode, however. The layout is superb.

Style

We all know that style is subjective, but I'm going to tell you about it anyway. With just bigger tires and a new grille, I've managed to make my truck stand out. It's not a sports car, but I still receive compliments on it. Remember the grins I spoke of earlier?

While smaller than the competition, I still feel the Canyon to be the best-styled of the bunch. One great accomplishment of the 355 platform is the ability to look good as an off-roader and good as a street rod. While the Z71 package continues to be an owner favorite (reference www.coloradofans.com), the xtreme package has created a super clean street option, a look that will be flawless with the larger wheel packages available for 2007.

Try to imagine a Frontier or Dakota lowered to the ground. While handsome up high, it's a look that even the inflatable-bodied Tacoma cannot pull off.

Final Thoughts

After two years, I've haven't felt the longing for a new vehicle. Realistically, two years is not long to own a car, but as enthusiasts we all know what it's like to just dream about that new model (married guys can relate, too, I bet.)

Two-years strong and I can't complain. I'll have another review out about this time next year, and I'll let you guys know how the truck handles the Appalachian Avalanche (I'm in Johnstown till summer). Until then, keep an open mind -- the Canyon is still one hell of a truck.

Other Notes

Avg Fuel Mileage (est.) 16 city / 25 hwy

Costs Regular Maintenance (about $200)

Mileage 19,000 as of 9/02/2006

Aftermarket Changes All mechanicals stock

Year 2004

Trim z71 LSE

Other Extended Cab

Engine Atlas i5 3.5L

Transmission 4L60E 4-speed auto

Gearing 3.73 w/ 4wd & G80 Diff.

Options Power Everything, XM

Other No performance-altering changes

General Happiness 10/10

Dependability 9/10

Interior Comfort 5/10

Interior Usefulness 9/10

Parkability 8/10

Grin-factor 10/10

Fun to Drive 8/10 (for a truck)

Powertrain 9/10

Work capabilities 10/10

Overall 9/10

Edited by tama z71

Good review, I'd have to agree with almost everything except the comfort issues you're having, but then I'm only 5'5". I do have an area on the outer edge of the driver's seat just above the recliner mechanism where the seat foam is a bit collapsed from jumping in and out, (a trait brought forward from the S-10s).

I have 39k miles on my Colorado, purchased January 23rd, 2004. My mileage has been anywhere from 19.3 to 23.7 as an all-time best. I have the 3.5, five speed and 3.73 posi.

What kind of wheels did you put on yours, tama? Is the offset stock, or do they stick out further than factory?

Good review, I'd have to agree with almost everything except the comfort issues you're having, but then I'm only 5'5".  I do have an area on the outer edge of the driver's seat just above the recliner mechanism where the seat foam is a bit collapsed from jumping in and out, (a trait brought forward from the S-10s).

I have 39k miles on my Colorado, purchased January 23rd, 2004.  My mileage has been anywhere from 19.3 to 23.7 as an all-time best.  I have the 3.5, five speed and 3.73 posi.

What kind of wheels did you put on yours, tama?  Is the offset stock, or do they stick out further than factory?

188441[/snapback]

Cool man. Didn't know you were a fellow 355 owner.

The wheels are 16" American Racing Fuel Series. I couldn't tell you the offset, though I'm sure its not stock anymore. They're mounted on 32" Bridgestone Dueler Revo's and they stick out a lot. I had to cut out the front mud flaps completely due to rubbing, and the tires stick out a good inch, even past the huge Z71 flares!

But yeah dude, definitely a solid little truck. While the mileage figures are purely estimates, you can definitely see the difference between stop and go in the hills of Pittsburgh and the mileage you'll get on the turnpike.

I should have joined the "355 group" back in late 2003 when my Sonoma Highrider (ZR2) lease ended, but the wife wanted a car :angry: I'd like to say that if I had the chance to go and buy a 2007 Canyon today that I would; however, I know I wouldn't. The exterior design isn't what's stopping me, it's as you say the lack of refinement of the interior that is. GM has answered half of our prayers by improving the engine performance and hopefully the new rims will make those designed-by-Fisher Price plastic 16 inch rims go away. But the interior looks basic no matter what model trim you choose. Look at the GMT-900 SUVs and Pickups and the GMT-360 SUVs - they have some style in them. So why can't the little guys? I can't believe GM spent all that time and money redesigning the S10 line only to give us the Colorado & Canyon interior, rims and engine. Hopefully 2008 will be a turnaround year for these trucks with a new interior and some updated (and different) exterior styling for the GMT-355's MCE. My Envoy lease is up in 2008, and while the new Sierra has definitely got my attention, a more improved Canyon Crew Cab Z71 4wd might be the more economical choice. Thanks TAMA for posting your 2 year review and you too ocnblu for responding on how great your truck is.

Hey there, we noticed you're using an ad-blocker. We're a small site that is supported by ads or subscriptions. We rely on these to pay for server costs and vehicle reviews.  Please consider whitelisting us in your ad-blocker, or if you really like what you see, you can pick up one of our subscriptions for just $1.75 a month or $15 a year. It may not seem like a lot, but it goes a long way to help support real, honest content, that isn't generated by an AI bot.

See you out there.

Drew
Editor-in-Chief

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search

Change privacy settings