Second Generation Corvair

razoredge

There is one for sale nearby. It looks like its all origional. From some time warp, just pushed out of storage. Its origional paint, origional interior.

It does have some lower rust, not real bad at all. Cant speak for the undercarriage which must also be rusty. The interior is great except for the drivers back. Seat bottom looked great. Its licenced and inspected since July so apparently the brakes and all is working, so maybe the underneath is not too bad ? I just looked quickly at it from the outside and have not talked to anyone. I have a feeling its been in a barn or something, covered up because the old paint just looks like old paint, not trashed.

The price is $1000 OBO. Depending on final inspection outcome this is potentially a very good price range, like $600 in my book.

I know theres not many car restore skilled people that visit here but maybe someone knows someone that might be interested. Im not, I just cleaned house and still have too many cars and the Lancia is my main interest at this time. I must admit this Corvair is very very tempting, such a looker.

This is the midstate NY area, near Albany.

I would like more info too. We could end up with a new project car for our school shop. We have an 86 Mustang going Pro Street with a rebuilt 351 Windsor. A 300C with 240k, donated by Chrysler, its a practice car, originally a pilot. We also had a 1968 Chevelle rebuilt with a 454 and we made it ready for prostreet. That is long gone. Sold 5 years ago. The 86 Mustang will be up for sale. It has an 87 front clip as well but is a notchback. A Corvair sounds like a good project car to restore or go pro street with a different engine if possible. Albany isn't too far as well so it could be arranged to be picked up even.

Could someone fill me in on the whole Corvair / Ralph Nader thing that led him to write "Unsafe at any speed"?  I've seen a Corvair before with the license plate "F NADER" but I don't really know the story behind it.

197099[/snapback]

Ditto _ Ive been meaning to ask this too. What item was it he was most concerned with ? Seems to me it had something to do with the rear suspension reaction or geometry. Im sure location of gas tank was picked at too, but many cars back then did not have tanks in the best of places.

Its been highly noted that many early independant rear suspensions were not as good as rigid axel. I saw footage of 3rd generation Corvette rear suspension crazyness. They placed a camera and took it too the track to show what was wrong with how it reacted to curves and bumps. the tires were all over the place.Thats how the company knew what to do to improve on the problem.

GM's bean counters have been a problem since late 50's according to one source I have. Always skimmin the cream off the top of the products. Making the engineers cut costs against their better judgment. Maybe thats how they survived.......or maybe thats what eventually brought them to their knees. A little of both I suppose.