Area GM plant may get diesel engine line

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20061111/1033803.asp

Area GM plant may get diesel engine line

Automaker seeks tax breaks if Tonawanda facility is to be awarded the $21 million investment

By FRED O. WILLIAMS

News Business Reporter

11/11/2006

General Motors employs 1,900 people at the engine plant on River Road.

General Motors' engine plant in the Town of Tonawanda is competing for a $21 million investment by the automaker, a spokeswoman confirmed - without saying exactly what the potential expansion would be.

There's speculation that it could be a diesel engine line.

I would guesse it's the Dohc Turbo diesel V8. I saw talk on another board 4.5 liter V8- 3.4 liter V6 on the way. Consider that as "Rumor". If the Displacements are right? Maybe a familial (sp?) relationship to the GME 2.2 DTi . (Since discontinued?)

As far as Tonawanda goes I doubt they get it. Erie County has a control board. I don't know if anyone will be getting tax breaks.

On another point If GM will be Building Diesels at other plants. Is there something to the Isuzu/Toyota wanting the Duramax plant rumor?

I would guesse it's the Dohc Turbo diesel V8.  I saw talk on another board 4.5 liter V8- 3.4 liter V6 on the way. Consider that as "Rumor". If the Displacements are right? Maybe a familial (sp?) relationship to the GME 2.2 DTi . (Since discontinued?)

As far as Tonawanda goes I doubt they get it. Erie County has a control board. I don't know if anyone will be getting tax breaks.

On another point If GM will be Building Diesels at other plants. Is there something to the Isuzu/Toyota wanting the Duramax plant rumor?

215371[/snapback]

Why would GM sell?

• 1 month later...

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20061212/1045947.asp

General Motors Corp. was granted nearly $8 million in tax breaks on Monday by the Erie County Industrial Development Agency to bolster the Town of Tonawanda engine plant's bid to land a $300 million upgrade that includes a new line of diesel engines.

The incentives include more than $1.8 million in sales tax breaks, along with an estimated $6 million in savings over the next 26 years by changing GM's payment in lieu of taxes agreement for the engine plant to reduce the company's obligations.

Seems like a one sided deal.If Tonawanda doesn't get the engine line are the tax breaks null and void?