Christmas gift to my Dad

mjdecker

I've had this idea for sometime and every year I try but come to the same struggle I'm having now.

Back in 1970 after my dad left the service, he had bought a red 1965 Corvette (327cc, 4 speed) convertible (black top) and he loved it but then was forced to sell it as he was having some financial issues since he was still in college at the time but really wishes he could get that car back all the time.

Now, I have nowhere near the money to go buy and restore a 65 Vette but I do want to have a large size poster printed and framed for him. I'm thinking something at least 30" wide.

About a year ago I had found this image off ebay and had emailed the seller if they had any high res photos (along with stating the use I have for it) but received no reply.

Posted Image

Now, I've been trying to find some other pictures of this style of corvette but for red 1965 verts, all I'm finding are 427 models with the exhaust running down the side. I'd like to try to get a nice high res photo so when printed out to the size I'm looking for will come out clean and not blurry, the main reason I'm unable to use the photo above. Also, if possible I'd like a photo that does not have a license plate and a front view with a nice scenic background.

If anyone here can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.

Any possible way you could find an original ad or piece of sales literature that has this car in it? Reason I ask is it sounds a lot like what I'm doing for my father for Christmas. He has a 1937 Packard Super Eight model 1500 touring sedan. On eBay a couple months ago I found an original five-page ad that ran in a magazine when the car was new of the entire 1937 Packard lineup (Twelve, Super Eight, 120, and Six) and I had each of the pages reproduced and am having them framed as a set. Couldn't have worked out more perfectly, really; the ad has every single color that can be found in his office, which is where it will hang when done. He's got a seven foot wall with absolutely nothing on it, so this giant piece (five 11 x 14 pages plus the size of the mat and frame) should do a nice job of filling it up. Maybe if you were to find a '65 general Chevrolet brochure or a specifically Corvette one, the type of car you need would be in there and you could go from there? I've always been a fan of period-correct artwork versus just a giant photograph, but that's just personal preference. Just a suggestion :)

My dad isn't one for ads, and I really don't want a really busy colleague, just one picture of the car at a nice angle is all I'm looking for.

Still browsing, shame I couldn't just rent this car for an hour and take some pictures with my buddy's Nikon

http://www.dfweliteautorental.com/showroom...c65corvette.htm

Already browsed through there as well as any other poster sites. The only red 65 Verts that I have seen are the 427 model with the exhaust down the sides. While, I'm sure my dad would like it , it's not the exact car he had and I was looking for a more sentimental type of gift.

I'm thinking I might want to try to email this rental place to see if that have any high resolution photos of the car just not sure how to word it. I'm not expecting a reply (or a nice one coming from a place that has high end exotics), but it doesn't hurt to try.

Edited by mjdecker

Well it's been a few days, and I sent this email to them. I was actually kind of hoping it would grab their attention being (what I think) well worded, the fact that my father was in the service, or just hoping there was a considerate person who would read the email but not one response as of yet. <_<

Back in 1970 after my father left the service, he had purchased a red 1965 Corvette (327cc, 4 speed) convertible. He loved the car very much but was forced to sell it as he was having financial issues since he was still in college at the time but whenever he looks back upon the car, he wishes he still had it. Now, I have nowhere near the money to go buy and restore a 65 Vette (as I am a current college student) but for this upcoming Christmas, I would like to have a large size poster printed and framed for him. I have been searching the Internet for the past two years with this idea but have been unable to find any photo large enough to be printed that matches the exact car he had. While I have been able to find posters of other Corvettes, I was hoping to find the car he had for sentimental purposes. The Corvette your company has available for rent is an identical match, right down to the knock off wheels.

I am requesting if you have any available high resolution photos you would be willing to share to aide me in the venture of achieving the perfect gift to my father.

I appreciate any help you can provide in this.

Thank You,

Michael Decker

So if anyone else could provide some help or suggestions I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I guess I'm gonna have to rethink on what else to get him this year.

Why don't you just rent the thing for him one day as a surprise? That way you can see the smile on his face when he gets to drive it for the day and take a picture of it with him in it and get THAT framed.