4T60E vs 4T65E

Hey all,

Looking to buy a 1996-1999 Olds Eighty Eight, and want to know which tranny is better for reliability, the 4T60E in the 96-97 or the 4T65E in the 98-99? We had the 4T60 in a 1994 Trans Sport that was nothing but trouble, and have had three 4T65E vans without trouble, but I'm looking for a second opinion. Any help is appreciated.

I believe my 92 Regal has a 4T60 (without the E). I've changed the fluid and filter every 18,000 miles or so and it now has 233,000 trouble free miles. I'm a firm believer in being easy on transmissions and keeping the fluid an odorless and light pink.

Still, this family has been around a while and, in the many GM rentals I've had that were probably 4T65 equipped, I noticed they had nicer crisper shifts. Like the post above, the 4T65 is probably a better, more perfected version of the 4T60, so go with the newer one.

• 2 weeks later...

Really the 4T60E and 4T65E are the same family of transmissions. the 4T65E is a heavier duty version, just like there was a Turbo 400 and a Turbo 475 transmission, they were bascially the same transmission, one was just heavier duty than the other. If it were me, I'd go with the 4T65E

Hi

For my work car, I have a 1997 Olds LSS with the L36 and 4t60e. This is the original, unaltered tranny and has never been out of the car.

I do a pan drop 3x /yr with the resultant fluid swap and filter change during one of those instances. The car has 244,000 miles on it.

The major differences between the 60 and 65 is that the 65e does not have the vac modulator as the 60e does. It relies, instead on solinoids to determine shift points. There are a few enthusiasts out there that believe that the 60e was a stronger box..at least in the late 90s.

The 65e came out for the '98 model year.

• 8 years later...
Guest 02impalamobber

So there interchangeable? So 1. my 02 base modle impala with a 3.8 has a 4t65e correct? And if it does would a 60e bolt right up? They have the same bolt patterns and everything is the same lengths and everything? And what about the HD? Is there any other trannys that will work besides the 60e's/HD?