GM - I want a Zafira

I just got done doing a mileage conversion for the Opel Zafira. The one sold in Mexico gets approx 32 mpg. The others sold throughout the world with the 1.8 4-cyl get 37 to 38 mpg with 140 hp on tap. The diesel versions get over 45 mpg!

We would save over $170 per month in gas by owing a Zafira over the Suburban. Yeah, it's not as big, but with the money saved I could pay for the roof carrier, and get a decent hotel when we travel. Heck, a trip to LA in a Zafira compared to our Suburban would save us over $300!! Even with the bigger engine.

GM I WANT A ZAFIRA NOW.

Please get your act together and bring us the good stuff.

Anyone know how hard it is to get a vehicle in Mexico and bring it over?

I know it possible because I've seen a Mexican market vehicle (Dodge Ramcharger) with Missouri plates. Email or call the Department of Revenue and say you're interested in a car that originated in Mexico and see what happens.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/

As the Zafira is not on the NHTSA's eligibility list you will need to contract with a registered importer (listed on the NHTSA site) to provide a compliance label. If they haven't done one before it may be quite difficult. Some RI's can also do the required EPA tests for you.

• 1 month later...

I talked to my mom this morning (she's living in England for about another year and a half) and I mentioned that I was trying to get a Mini but would prefer the diesel. She said that when she comes back if I can get the cash together, she'll trade her Opel Corsa instead of selling it to help me buy a Mini D over there and get it imported. A co-worker of hers over there has one and says it gets great mileage. So now I'm going to have to look into how hard it will be to get it imported.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/

As the Zafira is not on the NHTSA's eligibility list you will need to contract with a registered importer (listed on the NHTSA site) to provide a compliance label. If they haven't done one before it may be quite difficult. Some RI's can also do the required EPA tests for you.

WOW, our wonderful Federal Government has rules that in most cases only go up to 2001, they have not updated their own documents. Shameful!

You should check with your state, there are 51 different rules on importation of vehicles, that includes the District of Columbia. Some may not allow it at all.

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Meh.....did a little checking around and it look like it would be far more expensive than its really worth. I can just hope they decide to import the Mini D for a smaller premium than the $7k it would cost to bring one over. Although it would be cool to have a new RHD Mini.