Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BuddyP

E85 conversion on an Avalanche

6 posts in this topic

Is anybody here educated in what process it takes to convert a vehicle to be E85 compliant? I have an '03 Avalanche, and while most '03 GM trucks are E85 compliant, the Avalanche's were not.

02 sensor and special injectors i believe, maybe a comp flash? more than that i'm not sure.

http://flextek.com/

Has everything you need. I did one of these a while back on a 2001 Silverado and it wasn't too hard to install. Just don't do it if you live in a state that does emissions testing because it won't be legal.

Really? What's the deal with that? I guess I assumed E85 would have better emissions?? I'm not in a state like that (Indiana) but we have several E85 pumps in this state.

http://flextek.com/

Has everything you need. I did one of these a while back on a 2001 Silverado and it wasn't too hard to install. Just don't do it if you live in a state that does emissions testing because it won't be legal.

Really? What's the deal with that? I guess I assumed E85 would have better emissions?? I'm not in a state like that (Indiana) but we have several E85 pumps in this state.

The EPA says you can't modify the fuel system on an emissions vehicle, like going from fuel injection to a carburetor and vice versa, and this falls under that rule. It's an obscure rule and only someone who regularly does emissions test would know. Since your state doesn't do emissions tests chances are no one will notice and you could most likely get away with it. The University of Minnesota is working on a conversion kit that would be emissions legal, but so far nothing has come of that yet.

The trouble with the EPA is they are too obsessed with what equipment a vehicle came with originally and not if you can make any improvements in emissions. Say you wanted to swap a Duramax into a 1986 Silverado. The EPA, in states that do emissions testing, wouldn't let you do it even though the Duramax runs infinitely cleaner than whatever you pulled out of there. It's just another archaic rule lazy bureaucrats create to justify their existence.

Quoted for truth.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0