C&G cyclists

Satty

I have a bicycling issue, I was hoping someone on here could help out, I know some of you have mentioned biking as a hobby in the past. Basically, I've spent the last 2 years doing short, intense rides, a couple of hours at a time over hellacious terrain, and my body is used to it. My issue is, I'm going to do a charity ride (Start to Finish MS, anyone want to donate?) in September , it'll be 80-100 miles each way (dont know the route yet) and I'm worried about trying to turn myself into an endurance cyclist. Today, I went on a 40 mile ride, that frankly didn't go well. My ass was in the most extreme pain I've felt in years and my back didn't feel that greta either. I'm really sunburnt (I know how to solve this one, I just wasn't thinking) and I went through a ton of water, roughly 6 liters. I've still got roughly 3 months to train, but want to do it in the most efficient way possible, any advice in regards to training, equipment (my Gray Fisher is a terrible bike for this, but its what I've got, I do need a new seat) or pain management?

6'2, 200lbs even this morning, probably a couple of pounds less now after busting my ass riding today. I've been meaning to go get a new seat since I got the bike, never got around to it. Its only a problem when I'm riding distances, so I'm definitely going to have to sometime soon. I'll also check into padded shorts, although I've gotten really comfortable riding in whatever pair of old shorts I put on. Thanks for the suggestions.

6'2, 200lbs even this morning, probably a couple of pounds less now after busting my ass riding today. I've been meaning to go get a new seat since I got the bike, never got around to it. Its only a problem when I'm riding distances, so I'm definitely going to have to sometime soon. I'll also check into padded shorts, although I've gotten really comfortable riding in whatever pair of old shorts I put on. Thanks for the suggestions.

Don't know if you know this but, to adjust your seat height for optimum comfort, you should stand next to your bike and raise the seat to hip level, then do some minor adjustments from there as to what works for you.

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Were you wearing any compression shirts while riding the other day? Those shirts can prevent dehydration and reduce the sweat and hence the intake of water. Get the full sleeve ones in Walmart called Athletic Works. They go for like $15.00. They were available in three colors, Black, Brownish something, and white.

If you are riding street bike make sure, that your seat is positioned such that the back is at about 45 degrees, and the hips should be horizontal when the pedal is at its highest position.