Octane ratings on Z28

Z28

Hello, first time around C&G! I have a question about the Ocatane rating on my 1996 Z28 (roughly 60k miles, and stock). This car is NOT my daily driver, and I only drive it when the weather's good...so roughly 3-4 months out of the whole year. Now the problem. Since I dont drive my Z28 all that much, I figured I would let a family member take it to college for the spring-summer semesters. Well, I got the car back about two-three weeks ago, and really did'nt get the chance to drive it until last Saturday...thats when I noticed the engine was pinging like crazy at idle. My first thought was that stupid b* used Diesel or something, no she used E-85 whenever gas prices spiked above $2 (so yeah, my car's been running on that crap for atleast two months). Since Saturday night, I have been using 93...and does'nt seem like it did any good. I took it to the GM dealer today and they said they would do a full inspection but that would cost me lots of money I dont want to spend :( I am not a car nut, I can change the oil, thats about it. Do you guys have any tips or should I just shell out the cash and get it checked? Thanks for any advice.

I am not a car nut, I can change the oil, thats about it.  Do you guys have any tips or should I just shell out the cash and get it checked? 

Thanks for any advice.

[post="23931"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The high concentration of Ethonal in E-85 eats away at the plastic and rubber fuel system parts of a normal gas engine. More than likely the whole fuel system will need to be replaced. Running it for a couple of months could have also seriously damaged the bottom end too from that pinging. Edited by quantum110

• 2 weeks later...
First mistake lending someone your car. We all no if its not your own car you may go a little wild with it like those rental cars taking off fast slaming on the brakes, burning out you know what i mean. Nuetral slams , and maybe try starting it up while its running stuff that you are tempted to do but don't want to damage your car so remember this never loan out your car. Edited by reeferman

Why would you ever let somebody borrow a car like that.  Only 4 people have ever driven my car.  The salesperson I ordered it from, my father, one of my friends and me.  But the car stays with me.

[post="29561"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah! Mine too, except only 3 have driven my car. My friend (it was his birthday, so I let him drive it), my dad and me. Of course, the other owner before me drove it, but I'm not counting him.

I dont tend to borrow my vehicles out either except to my sister and brother-in-law. They know how I am and they make sure they take excellent care of them if they need them.