Fuel Additives

Anyone ever try adding pure acetone into their gas? Two to three ounces per 10 gallons is supposed to increase mpg, improve combustion and performance without harming the engine or seals. It makes sense on the surface but am still a wee bit skeptical. (No, I'm not Scottish.)

I understand that oil companies can make better blends that would benefit economy. Adding acetone is also supposed to burn cleaner and eliminate blackened tailpipes. As far as efficiency is concerned it makes you wonder why they add ethanol in some pumps because it doesn't exactly aid combustion

Anyway, I'm not an expert on this and not one to buy into this $h! just because I read it somewhere but can someone add to this?

Edited by FloydHendershot

well looked around... and it could be said that when people are paying attention to their fuel ecconomy, they drive more conservatively, thus they get better results... so many fuel results may be short lived until the person resumes their normal driving habbits and stop paying attention to their fuel ecconomy

apparently mythbusters said its a myth...

seeing as it is a chemical designed to remove paints and what not, i'm sure it would work great as a injector & carbon cleaner, as one gentleman suggested it cleaned his oxigen sensors...

and that alone could weild double point gains in fuel ecconomy...

as for why they dont add it into the fuel, perhaps it doesnt work, perhaps it evaporates more fuel then they care to give up, also transportation of large amounts of fuel is dangerous expecially if its evaporating... for example our diesel tankers hold 2500 gallons but due to expansion and other pricipals of fuel we are only capable of transporting a maximum of 2300 gallons...

so think about it as you would... remember gasoline evaporates at room temperature as it is... it doesnt need the aid of acetone, until put under pressure...

and as another website suggested, this realy only aids vehicles that have a lot of blowby... if it was really good, they'd use it in major racing events... if it improves performance...

well looked around... and it could be said that when people are paying attention to their fuel ecconomy, they drive more conservatively, thus they get better results... so many fuel results may be short lived until the person resumes their normal driving habbits and stop paying attention to their fuel ecconomy

apparently mythbusters said its a myth...

seeing as it is a chemical designed to remove paints and what not, i'm sure it would work great as a injector & carbon cleaner, as one gentleman suggested it cleaned his oxigen sensors...

and that alone could weild double point gains in fuel ecconomy...

as for why they dont add it into the fuel, perhaps it doesnt work, perhaps it evaporates more fuel then they care to give up, also transportation of large amounts of fuel is dangerous expecially if its evaporating... for example our diesel tankers hold 2500 gallons but due to expansion and other pricipals of fuel we are only capable of transporting a maximum of 2300 gallons...

so think about it as you would... remember gasoline evaporates at room temperature as it is... it doesnt need the aid of acetone, until put under pressure...

and as another website suggested, this realy only aids vehicles that have a lot of blowby... if it was really good, they'd use it in major racing events... if it improves performance...

The reference about better blends of gas isn't limited specifically to using acetone, it was just an assertion/suggestion by one person who claims to be knowledgable. Maybe instead of ethanol or in addition, I do't know.

From the same perrson also said works best with carbureated motors.

I did come across a google hit where aprrox 15-20 people kept records and it wasnt all that impressive, tho the ones where it worked were thrilled. Neons in particular were getting over 40 mpg. Same for some towing.

I absolutely agree with your first comment. I can squeeze 2-3 mpg better just by paying more attention to driving habits.

oh, and your last line got me thinking, Michael Waltrip took a huge hit from NASCAR because of an illegal additive that went unnamed.

FWIW, the guy I quoted also claims that the sensors in some newer cars are able to determine if you are getting better than average economy and adjust the mixture so it runs richer. Now, I don't know about all that but makes for good reading.

I guess the only way to know for sure is test it out.

It can work for some older cars, but I would be afraid to put it a car less than a few years old...for fear it might be too strong for the fuel system itself.

I've heard a few good stories, in trucks, Neons, Cavaliers, and even an Impy...

If you want a good cleaning, Seafoam works pretty well....

Well, any additive to the fuel can be harmful as much as helpful. Just like if you've got water in the fuel, you can add rubbing alcohol to the gas, but then you run the risk of fouling the O2 sensors. And no, no vehicle is programmed to run richer if the ECM realizes its getting better than "normal" fuel mileage. The only way it'll run richer will be by noticing that he engine is for some reason running lean, by which the engine is starving for fuel anyway. Seafoam, Lucas, Gumout, even STP can all be effective, although none of it matters once that spark plug fires, they'll all burn, just like the gasoline coming out of that fuel injector.