Sign in to follow this  
loki

the 4.9L development

5 posts in this topic

before it's mass produced:

could we see VVT like the 08 viper's engine?

3v/cylinder?

potent closer to 350+hp and ~320lbft?

*dreaming*

a 3.2L (just a number gm hasn't made for OHV, in usa) or 3.7L (lop off 2 cylinders) V6

giving ~250HP or ~290hp respectivly and +1-2 MPG over current OHV v6 engines with ~6.5K redlines

or turboed for 330hp / 360 hp

just rough estimates (not using a calc for power gains)

are we still going to have to wait for 3+ years for this v8 or will this tech be pushed up? ...maybe 2 years from now?

My guess - and this is just a guess, that DI pushes out any idea of a 3V setup on the pushrod motors. I'm not sure how GM would be able to squeeze in 3 valves, a sparkplug, and a fuel injector into each cyl. If you did, I'm sure you'd have to reduce valve-size - and that would defeat the idea behind the 3v in the first place. I'm guessing that the benefits of a 3v architecture just weren't significant enough to make it worthwhile for GM to pursue. I believe several aftermarket companies produce 3v assemblies for your small-block. GM itself has toyed around this idea for years. If we haven't seen it by now, I can't believe it's ever going to get to market.

My guess - and this is just a guess, that DI pushes out any idea of a 3V setup on the pushrod motors. I'm not sure how GM would be able to squeeze in 3 valves, a sparkplug, and a fuel injector into each cyl. If you did, I'm sure you'd have to reduce valve-size - and that would defeat the idea behind the 3v in the first place. I'm guessing that the benefits of a 3v architecture just weren't significant enough to make it worthwhile for GM to pursue. I believe several aftermarket companies produce 3v assemblies for your small-block. GM itself has toyed around this idea for years. If we haven't seen it by now, I can't believe it's ever going to get to market.

3v being a problem? how, they do it with 4valves. the only thing they have to prove to themselves is it's worth the money(what, maybe make the motor $500 more expensive in the short run?), and how they set it up is reliable (this shouldn't be hard).

There was beforeconcept smallblock with 3 valve and DI..XV8. Yes it had two cam in block but it can probably be done with one cam in block . I just hope that GM will produce future LS engines with DI and we won't have to wait until next generation vette to see it.

4.9 l v8 with vvt , DI could probably develop over 350 hp.