Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

edmunds 09 astra XR test

http://www.edmunds.com/saturn/astra/2009/t...astrafint500jpg

biased article. they rip on the car. but they neglect to mention that the car they tested is not the one with the sport package and SEVENTEEN inch wheels which is available and makes the handling great. note the wheels pictured are NOT the sport package wheels. DUMB ASSES!!!!!!!!!!!

they rip the acceleration, but i doubt a base cooper or a corolla is faster. car and driver had the astra as the best top gear roll on times. is a mazda 3 2.0 faster?

they say the car got only 22mpg and yet i struggle to see how when real world users consistently report in the thirties. what the hell does edmunds do to their cars?

they do take fair rips on the other obvious flaws.

and yes, they already did get a piece of my mind.

Edited by regfootball

http://www.edmunds.com/saturn/astra/2009/t...astrafint500jpg

biased article. they rip on the car. but they neglect to mention that the car they tested is not the one with the sport package and SEVENTEEN inch wheels which is available and makes the handling great. note the wheels pictured are NOT the sport package wheels. DUMB ASSES!!!!!!!!!!!

The ASTRA 3-door comes standard with 17" wheels and sports suspension.

they rip the acceleration, but i doubt a base cooper or a corolla is faster. car and driver had the astra as the best top gear roll on times. is a mazda 3 2.0 faster?

The ASTRA is slower from 0-60 than MINI Cooper, Toyota Corolla, and Mazda 3i. It has the best top-gear acceleration because in 5th gear, its engine revs at 4,000 rpm at 80 mph. That's like driving around in 4th gear all day.

they say the car got only 22mpg and yet i struggle to see how when real world users consistently report in the thirties. what the hell does edmunds do to their cars?

they do take fair rips on the other obvious flaws.

and yes, they already did get a piece of my mind.

I think their concerns are legit for a "sports coupe" that starts just under $20K. At that price, consumers are looking for performance in addition to good looks.

you know, its legit to criticize the car based on the prices being asked. however, if the pricing was in line, this is more desirable than say, a corolla.

if you want to talk expensive, mini. maybe justified as an S trim, but a base mini ain't a bargain.

also, if you look at the base mazda3, civic etc with like options, they ain't much cheaper or faster etc.

even the cobalt gets pricy in comparison if you option it up and rebates are not high on them.

even the focus gets pricey with a few options. small cars aren't as cheap as advertised. the versa for example, they brought in the stripper to advertise at 9995 on tv, but find an automatic versa with cruise and abs..........17 grand for a steaming pile like the versa. if you want to be repulsed by a small car, drive the versa.

it's even hard to make a case for the fit in high trim levels. 19 grand for 110 horse or whatever?

Most small cars that you buy over say 140 hp will set you back 17 grand at least.

i think its fair to criticize GM's options pacakaging and MSRPs but that is a fair criticism of nearly all of GM's cars. GM has no clue how to price cars.

Edited by regfootball