Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Mirrors

A friend of mine has a mishap in his '98 LeSabre yesterday. He hit one of those rectangular yellow reflectors you see along the side of the road with the right-hand mirror, which only scraped the paint a little bit, but the glass cracked and a strip of it fell off in the middle. The glass is also not supported at the top anymore, so it's like it's stuck pointing down. I wouldn't call myself a mechanic, but I can even tell that he needs a new mirror.

So, the question is, does anyone know how to remove the mirror off of a '90s H-body? It's not power-adjustable and I don't believe it's heated, which makes me think it would just pop out if you stuck a thin tool between it and the rubber sealing.

I guess I should've been more clear, we want the whole assembly taken off (glass + housing).

And that's what we were thinking, going to the 'local' (closest one is like 20 miles away) junkyard and scouring for a '92-'99 H-body.

I haven't taken one apart on a LeSabre, but I would imagine there's a piece of plastic covering where the mirror is mounted on the inside of the door. You would take that off, either by pulling on them (if it uses brackets) or unscrewing it), then there should be 2-3 bolts you undo to take off the mirror.

Like I said, I haven't done it before on a LeSabre, so I would just practice on one you don't want at the yard.

Digging out trusty '99 H-bod FSM...

First, however, you CAN replace the mirror glass, if nothing else broke. That said, I haven't seen an instance where a smacked sideview mirror didn't have at least one broken plastic piece. If you could replace the glass, it saves you from taking the door panels off.

So, to replace the whole thing... Not being an ass, but copying and parapharasing whats in the FSM, which is somewhat banal and recursive.

1. Disconnect negative battery cable.

2. Remove Trim panel

a. Remove arm rest bezel switch plate

b. Use a small, flat-bladed tool

c. Release the retaining tab on the courtesy lamp

d. Remove courtesy lamp

e. Disconnect the electrical connector

f. Remove the retaining fastener from the rear of the trim panel

g. Remove the door lock switch bezel

h. Release the trim panel retainers. Insert the J38778 (Uh, your BF flathead screwdriver, trim removal level or your fingers) between the outer edges of the door trim panel and the door

i. Lift upward the trim panel

j. Disconnect wiring harness

k. Disconnect speaker connector as necessary.

3. Remove water deflector (Actually, just peel the upper portion out of the way)

4. Disconnect wire connector

5. Remove two nut fasteners

6. Remove mirror

7. Install Mirror

8. Torque fasteners to 54 in-lb

9. Connect wire connector

10. Install water deflector

11. Install trim panel (reverse of a-k)

12. Reconnect negative battery cable

Finally, before doing this, check the door to be sure that the mirror mounting isn't bent up... it'll be easier to fix while having the door apart... the H-bodies seem to have the mirror mounted in a way that I'd be afraid would damage the door sheetmetal if hit hard enough.

Good luck.

BTW, if you need diagrams or further details, I can scan the pertinent pages. I'd have to move the pile of crap off my scanner, however.

Yeah, have fun with that. I've replaced a mirror on a '92 LeSabre, which is mounted the same way. What a pain. Have a universal joint for your socket ready, and a long extension.

Put a little grease or something tacky on the socket to keep the nut stuck to it... you DONT want them dropping into the door.

I had to do the same kind of thing about 5 years ago when I broke off the side mirror on my Jeep on one of those yellow water-filled construction barrels. Had to remove the passenger door panel to get to the mounting screws and electrical connection. I need to take the door panel off again, after so many years, it's worked loose and the mirror vibrates at freeway speeds...

Rob