NAIAS: The Web editor's take

Hey guys.

A few thougths of the show to follow on CD's post.

Overall I thought the show was jsut jampacked with good stuff. It was so busy I didn't leave the press room much as the MPH guys just came back with more stuff for me to upload!

When I was on the floor I was actually happy cobo is so small. i could do a whole round of shots and back upstairs in about 40 minutes.

The production stuff I'm most excited about: Ford Edge and Mazda CX-7. The Mazda will probably be our next car if the turbo i4 can deliver decent power. The interior is the best mazda has made yet, a step over the miata.

GM is getting so much better on the interiors. The new Tahoe is going to be big. i saw 3 driving around town too. all in that gold color.

The escalade looks great in person. It will do really well.

Lincolns did not look good. they need to do something with those grills, the chrome looks fake.

the aston martin Rapide is too big and misproportioned in person.

The volvo c30 could easily outsell the GTI if it performs as well.

I want a Porsche Cayman, I want a Porsche Cayman, I want a Porsche Cayman, I want a Porsche Cayman, I want a Porsche Cayman, I want a Porsche Cayman, I want a Porsche Cayman.

I'll take an Audi S6 too but the Q7 interior seemed a bit off from Audi's norm. Kind of cheap to the touch for that price.

The Acura RDX looks better in person and I disagree with CD on that one. More importantly though is if that turbo i4 (acura's first) goes to the next RSX! which it probably will. will the SH-AWD? hubba hubba.

The superchief was too much for me but you're basically looking at the next f-250.

Ford had a 475 hp mustang and mustang convertible and almost no one noticed. they should have unveiled the price to get some headlines.

The Challenger would have been overlooked completely after the camaro was unveiled if it hadn't leaked to the internet early. Of course it was on the cover of ever magazine too (including ours). It is pretty badass though.

I still don't get why people buy hyundai's or kia's. They still don't compare to a toyota, honda or mazda in the touch test. if ford of gm could build a good new economy car they could win back something from the koreans.

Nissan and Chrysler seem to be slipping.

DCX's wrangler was good but the compass? ugh. the imperial was just dumb.

Star of the show? duh, camaro. I agree with the 18 months to production someone else mentioned. Not from any inside news but Ford rolled out the production mustang a year after the concept. GM can do the same. Plus the platform is already a go for holden. and it just looked so ready in person. that interior is hot. they just need to figue out the mirrors otherwise leave it be.

I can't think of anything else right now. Feel free to ask.

I also think the Aston doesn't look all that good - they should stick to the their current lineup. The Q7 is also a disappointment: massive girth, a hideous rear end, and a un-Audilike interior.

What did you think of the Enclave?

I think the Rapide is a great idea, they just need to get the proportions/size right.

the enclave interior looked fantastic, and again real! that's the most mindblowing. I'm not sure about the front, animal haunch look but the back end is very attractive. It'll do well if it comes out. I am nto happy with the Lacrosse and lucerne though. Buick should be happy Saab would be the first on the chopping block (sales block) it seems to give them time to improve.