Our Ports and the U.A.E.....

The O.C.

As you've most likely heard, the Prez is presenting a deal to have the government of the United Arab Emirates take control of major ports on the east coast.

Do you think that Dubya has finally "lost" it?

I can't believe this is actually happening.

He even said....and I quote...."if Britain can operate our ports, how are they different from the U.A.E.?"

How can you compare Great Britain to ANY middle-eastern country? In my opinion, G.B. is as close to sainthood as you can get when talking about U.S. allies....

I don't intend to get into a huge political debate here.....but IMHO, to give ANY middle-eastern country access to major ports in the U.S. is taking a chance that we can't afford to lose.....whether they have good intentions or not.....it's not racism...it's just a realistic look at the history of terrorism over the last 10 years or so.....

As you've most likely heard, the Prez is presenting a deal to have the government of the United Arab Emirates take control of major ports on the east coast.

Do you think that Dubya has finally "lost" it?

I can't believe this is actually happening. 

He even said....and I quote...."if Britain can operate our ports, how are they different from the U.A.E.?"

How can you compare Great Britain to ANY middle-eastern country?  In my opinion, G.B. is as close to sainthood as you can get when talking about U.S. allies....

I don't intend to get into a huge political debate here.....but IMHO, to give ANY middle-eastern country access to major ports in the U.S. is taking a chance that we can't afford to lose.....whether they have good intentions or not.....it's not racism...it's just a realistic look at the history of terrorism over the last 10 years or so.....

No you're right its nuts. I wonder what we are getting in return for letting them run it?

(and what do you mean "finally"...?)

Edited by CD/BP

There is a LOT of $hit going on right now that I don not understand. This is just one example of some kind of bizzaro-world plan that I can only hope and pray will not turn out as planned. I'm perplexed at our nation on a daily basis. I have to stop typing now before I get political which is why I've avoided the otehr "America" thread.

I'm not for isolationalism, but I wish our country's interaction, especially economically, with all countries in the Middle East would be minimized, so that our interests wouldn't be there. Not going to happen with this administration.

An update to my post....someone correct me if they've heard differently....

Security will still be handled by the U.S.A......

What I've heard is that the U.A.E. will handle all shipping, loading, and unloading....as well as overall management of the port.

Another friend of mine said that U.A.E. will only handle the shipping, loading, and unloading of their OWN shipments.

IMHO....I don't want a middle-eastern nation handling ANYTHING at one of our ports...whether it's their own shipments or not.

ALSO, the Port Authority of NY/NJ controls the three major NYC airports.....Newark, LaGuardia, and JFK. Does THIS mean that the U.A.E will have some control over those airports as well? (because they are run by the P.A. of NY/NJ?)