Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Ram air for my monte

i really want to put a fully functional ram air system on my 04 monte... i was just wondering if anyone knew what kind of horsepower gain i should expect... i plan to get an SLP cold air box with ram air option and a single scoop ram air hood... also does anyone know any other thing i can do to get lots of horse for relatively cheap? i know the ram air stuff will run me about 700 for the hood and 120 for the cold air box... so any other mods for under 1500 would be good thanks alot

$820 is a lot of money for just a few hp. Most of that hp will be on the top end too. If you want the look of the ram air hood, then go for it. But bang for the buck, it is not worth it.

I would look for a good CAI setup. The SLP one looks mighty cheap. Check around with K&N, AEM, or some other ones. Most can be had for less than $150. If you have some skill, try making your own.

A good exhaust system is very popular. See how much a local muffler shop will charge to fab up a cat-back setup for you. Go with a good muffler like Dynomax or Magnaflow. Those Cat-backs in a box are something like $500 which is crazy!

Check out http://www.pcmforless.com/. They will reflash your PCM to give you more power by getting the most out of the CAI and exhaust. They will also firm up your transmission for you too. And if you have different sized wheels and tires, they can fix your speedo while they have your PCM. Read the forum and call them up to find out all that you need to do and get the most out of you Monte.

Good Luck!

Edited by Derek77

wow thanks for the help... that wuz alot of good stuff... but it didnt really answer my question... how much horsepower would i gain with a ram air? i cant imagine it being less than 10-15, not to mention it also helps with gas mileage... and there are a couple other advantages... so when you think about it, 820 isnt too bad

It wouldn't be less than 10hp. It's hard to determine how much hp a ram air setup delivers because it works best when you are moving, "raming" air into your engine. A good CAI would give you nearly the same results. Look into making you own ram air setup using something like dryer hose along with a CAI if you really want one.

With the ram air hood along with the cold air box, I'll say you could see, maybe feel up to 15 hp. With the things I said, you would see no less than 25hp and some more torque off the line. Not to mention that you might be able to break the front tires lose from the harder shifts. And still be under $800.

Tough decisions, let me know what you decide.

Does anyone make an underdrive crank pulley for the w-bodies?

alright thanks alot... ill look into all that stuff you said and then make my decision

wow thanks for the help... that wuz alot of good stuff... but it didnt really answer my question... how much horsepower would i gain with a ram air? i cant imagine it being less than 10-15, not to mention it also helps with gas mileage... and there are a couple other advantages... so when you think about it, 820 isnt too bad

realistically, you will gain little to no HP by putting functional ram air on your car. take a look at the underside of one of those hoods. not only is the air path constricted with sharp turns, but it also gets heat soaked from rising heat from the engine. so, even the cooler air advantage is severely limited or eliminated altogether.

if your car is supercharged, fuhgettaboutit, you wont gain anything. how would ram air, even if it works, force any more air into an engines intake manifold already pressurized to 8psi by an SC? :AH-HA_wink:

SC or NA, you should look here: http://www.wbodystore.com/wbody/