Spy Shots: 2011 Ram 1500 Hybrid uncloaked

Spy Shots: 2011 Ram 1500 Hybrid uncloaked

by Frank Filipponio (RSS feed) on Aug 28th 2010 at 1:29PM

2011 Ram 1500 Hybrid captured by Rich Truesdell of Automotive Traveler

While recently shooting some cloaked Chrysler and Hyundai prototypes, Automotive Traveler's Rich Truesdell came across several completely undisguised Ram 1500 pickups the other day. As Rich tells it:

Upon closer examination, I figured out why: They are near-production-ready versions of the rumored 2-Mode Hybrid version. Judging by the complete lack of cloaking, I'd assume they are undergoing final validation, possibly to establish their published tow ratings. Don't be surprised if the Ram is an early-introduction 2012 model to reach showrooms in the spring.

We've talked about these hybrid pickups before, and if a schedule posted at Allpar is to be believed, Chrysler will kick off production of this new Ram 1500 Hybrid on November 16, so they may be badged as MY2011 Ram 1500 Hemi Hybrids and not MY2012 as Rich supposes. Either way, the hybrid Ram is expected to employ the same 5.7-liter Hemi V8, two-mode hybrid powertrain that was used in the short-lived Dodge Durango/Chrysler Aspen hybrids in 2008, backed by a transmission supplied to Chrysler by General Motors. Expected mileage ratings should be similar to GM's hybrid trucks, with a city number of about 21 to 22 mpg.

Check out Automotive Traveler for more photos of the 2011 Ram 1500 Hemi Hybrid.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/28/spy-shots-2011-dodge-ram-two-mode-hemi-hybrid-spotted/