Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Maintenance on a traverse-setup FWD car

I present to you my weekend, which consisted of replacing my spark plugs and wires as well as those on my father's car.

I must compliment GM Powertrain in the design of the 4.0l Aurora V8. On the surface, looks hard beyond the even row of plugs which are right up front on the aluminum block...

Posted Image

However, the ends have these nifty little pulltabs that allow easy removal...

Posted Image

And the odd-numbered plugs that look impossible to replace because they're mounted behind and below the coil pack (which itself has several control module above it) is extrodinarily easy because the coil pack can be unplugged and unbolted in minutes...

Posted Image

Total time from hood pop to hood shut (including fitting CoolTube wire insulation on the even-numbered plug wires and some short breaks) - 1hr 15min

On my father's Bonnie, it took us about 3 hours, mainly because two plugs were stuck and his 3800's rear plugs are far more awkward to get to.

Ahh, a good day's hard work followed by a nice wash n' polish...

Posted Image

How was your Saturday? :P

Fly:

1.25 hours is not bad for that. If memory serves me right I think the same job in my Datsun took all of 20 minutes. That's including the BOSCH wires, plugs, rotor, cap, air cleaner & pouring in a small bottle or Restore into my valvecover oil fill.

Word to the wise:

If your heater-core, blower fan or any related HVACcomponents need to be serviced or replaced you'll probably be paying the dealership to drop the subframe, motor and trans to be able to get access.

Now THIS is simplicity! :ohyeah:

Posted Image

BTW: WMJ... love the sig! Priceless. :)

Posted Image