South Padre Island

I've been to Pensacola FL many times. I like to go in the shoulder season and mid-week when it's still warm and not too crowded.

I may be getting a free ticket on Southwest. Since I have no other vices and I'm cheap, this is the only area where I spend money. I'm looking at their route map and it looks like I could get fairly close to South Padre Island, TX. Not at ALL interested in going when college students are around, so I will pick another quieter time. After all, it's for R & R.

Anybody been? Is it nice? Clean, warm water? Good food? What's there to do?

I've been to Pensacola FL many times.  I like to go in the shoulder season and mid-week when it's still warm and not too crowded.

I may be getting a free ticket on Southwest.  Since I have no other vices and I'm cheap, this is the only area where I spend money.  I'm looking at their route map and it looks like I could get fairly close to South Padre Island, TX.  Not at ALL interested in going when college students are around, so I will pick another quieter time.  After all, it's for R & R.

Anybody been? Is it nice? Clean, warm water? Good food? What's there to do?

It's been awhile, but SPI is nice but there are no big cities nearby, so if you want a dash of nighlife and culture to go along with your R&R, better look elsewhere.

IF that's not important to you, you'll probably like it. There's lots of high-rise hotels and resorts lining the Gulf.