Take me to Your Leader

Okay, let's say that the board of directors decides to fire Rick Wagoner sometime in the near future. The question now is: Who takes his place?

This is a question that I have been pondering over for the last few weeks. Some members of this forum seem to be hell-bent on seeing Wagoner get the boot, regardless of what the fallout would be. Others feel that Wagoner is doing as good a job as possible given the circumstances, and should not be fired at all. Still others (myself included) think that, while change at the top would be beneficial, there isn't much point in firing Wagoner if he would be replaced by another equally inneffective, GM-enculturated administrator; the new CEO must be in the mould of Carlos Ghosn or Lee Iacocca, capable of creating real, sweeping changes and bringing GM back from the brink... and in a timely manner, too.

So, here's a thread for all of us armchair CEOs to nominate who we think would be the best person to replace Wagoner, and why that person would be the best. If you don't have any particular individual in mind, feel free to talk about what qualities and traits you think a future GM CEO must have. Even if you think Wagoner shouldn't be fired, go ahead and chime in. Consider this a chance to do something somewhat productive, rather than whining all day about who's ideas are right and wrong. Go to it!

Guest buickman

Dear Buickman,

I always read the information you send with great interest. Thank you very much.

Recently I have pondered one question related to your suggestion that Rick Wagoner be replaced. My question is who should replace him?

What are your thoughts on a viable replacement candidate?

Thank you very much, and I await your feedback.

Dave

Hello Dave,

I would suggest the Board name Fritz Henderson (bluntly honest and frank) Chairman and appoint Joe Spielman (knowledgable leadership) as CEO. GM is far too large for any one man to function effectively as Chairman, CEO, and head of North American Operations. Alternatively, I like Tom LaSorda of Chrysler and Wolfgang Bernard of VW. In house, we also have proven leaders like Gary White (VLE for trucks) and James Hresko (newly named VP for Quality). Quite honestly, I am not real sure exactly who should be running General Motors, but I am POSITIVE who shouldn't be.

Buickman

As previously stated, GM is such a large organization in such a deep pile of s**t that it'd take more than a wunderkind CEO to return the company to its former glory...it really needs a more realistic cost structure.

While neither will probably happen, I'd like to see an outsider bring fresh perspective to the company, and possibly bring his or her team with'm. But again, given this near-impossible scenario that faces the organization, who knows how much of an impact that would make. (kind of like the difference of throwing a hot pot versus a boiling pot of water in your backyard pool in order to heat it up)

Edited by red