Drove a Volt today!

BuddyP

My uncle in Grand Rapids is one of the first 2 in that side of the state to get one. He came down to our place today with his black Volt. He's had it for 3 weeks. Got to take it for a spin. Nice driving car. When first powered up and pulling out of the driveway it was on battery until getting on the road and starting to accelerate (keep in mind I'm over 2 hours away from his place so the battery was already depleted). Only when I started slowing down for the stop sign did I hear the motor running. When did accelerate hard for a stretch and you could then hear the motor rev up higher due to the harder acceleration. Regardless the motor was very quit in every condition. You actually noticed the motor vibration in the steering wheel (which was very minor) before hearing the motor run. Gauges were very easy to read. Car was decently comfortable for my 6'-4" frame.

• 3 weeks later...

I am glad to see someone who has driven the cars view.

I am looking forward for my first drive in one. I may never buy one but this is the first EV I would even consider.

I just read the Sotry in Autoweek on the Volt and they liked it. The story on the leaf was funny as they would not say anything negitive but did show the tale of running out of power and being left on a flatbed truck with a dead Leaf.

The Volt was also run out of gas but the reserve battery kicks in and will go a couple more miles. This would have worked if they had not been in Northern Michigan in the middle of no where. But a can of gas fixed it and they were on their way.

Edited by hyperv6

hyper, I'm glad you brought up that point. Went to the NYIAS Friday with family and some friends. The friends are currently car shopping something in the 30+ MPG HWY rating. There was the EV ride along in the basement of the Jacob Javitz Center that we went on, me with just the Volt and them witb both the Volt and Leaf. They came away impressed with the Volt, but no so much with the Leaf. His main concern - what if you run out of battery in the Leaf, you're left dead on the side of the road - with the Volt, just keep gas in the tank and the on-board generator keeps the car going. He said the would have considered a Volt if not for price/finance restrictions they have (can't spend more than $20-24k MSRP, prefer leasing anyway for around $200/month) <sidenote: they are interested in a Cruze Eco now :smilewide: >

hyper, I'm glad you brought up that point. Went to the NYIAS Friday with family and some friends. The friends are currently car shopping something in the 30+ MPG HWY rating. There was the EV ride along in the basement of the Jacob Javitz Center that we went on, me with just the Volt and them witb both the Volt and Leaf. They came away impressed with the Volt, but no so much with the Leaf. His main concern - what if you run out of battery in the Leaf, you're left dead on the side of the road - with the Volt, just keep gas in the tank and the on-board generator keeps the car going. He said the would have considered a Volt if not for price/finance restrictions they have (can't spend more than $20-24k MSRP, prefer leasing anyway for around $200/month) <sidenote: they are interested in a Cruze Eco now :smilewide: >

That has been my point from the start. the Volt is a car the average buyer could live with and use. The Leaf takes someone with short trips and has either no need for long travel or a second car.

In Autoweek they picked the car up with 75 miles and drove it hard in testing. They had no where to charge it and could not make it home. The only solution was to flat bed it home. There is no forgivness if you fail to keep in the varing miles you can drive.

In time batteries will imporve and cost will come down do car like the Volt or even a full battery powered Volt may happen. Untill then the Volt is a good solution to a market that will grow.

Note the EV cars are improving faster now than ever in their history with the kinds of investment they are now seeing since main MFG's are now offering them. But they will only be part of the automotive market equation as they still have a lot of work to do and there are things they just can't do yet to even think of replacing the Gas engine.

I think GM is doing the right thing in offering the Volt E assist and the Eco lines. As time and investment improves these things they can expand the markets. But for now they will give people their choice of what they want.

GM now only needs to get the small Diesel engines into the mix.