2011 Saab 95 (manual base)

Tested, base 9-5 sedan...MSRP roughly 40k (closeout price roughly 30k), 2.0 turbo 4, 220hp, 6 speed man....

HIGHS

Smooth engine and powertrain

Nice shifter and clutch, nice knob to grab and hold.

Good cabin room front and back

Borderline sexy exterior style

Lots of equipment

Saab starter button now between the legs....er, seats......!

That Eurocar smell inside.....

Big trunk that is nicely appointed.

Drivers seat is widely adjustable and generally comfortable. Other seats are pleasing firm.

Decent visibility out the front and sides, under the premise of a car with not very large side glass.

Dash layout, which differs from the Regal, is not too bad of a layout.

Green dash lighting!!!!!

Pull in all gears, no turbo lag really.

Quiet inside, feels planted

Big discounts

fuel efficient

Unique, one of a kind

Has a good amount of euro feel

A no excuses well made solid car

LOWS

There is just something missing inside the cabin with the interior, just really not quite yet up to par for a car with the high MSRP's......

Cheap looking radio (base unit)

Control layouts maybe low for some folks, dash design in general is a bit odd and strange compared to current trends.

Has 'enough' power but could use more

Steering wheel is not thick enough (base model) and the leather wrap felt cheap.

Seat leather is a bit cheap

Plastics are a bit cheap

Actually smells like the Regal inside

Not much of a window to look out the rear. Visibility could be just a bit better.....

Drivers seat is a bit hard to get adjusted right

Seating in general could stand to be more contoured.

Steering was not light enough for my tastes and really was probably lacking feel IMO....sorta numb (this was not a sport package)

"If you had just driven this side by side with a Regal turbo manual, you would swear it's the same car"....not much difference in personality or feel

MSRP! way too high

Car just lacks the presentation and the utter feel of the German elites, IOW maybe not enough Euro feel

Being one of a kind is one thing, but do you want to be an orphan?

Yes, it does have some GM overtones lurking......

SUMMARY

Not at all a failure, but not making a splash, and too much like its Opel / Buick cousins.

I was second guessing this car until I drove it, and I am glad I did. Now, i did not drive the more prevalent expensively trimmed ones. So I am evaluating this car on my impression as a lesser price car you can actually buy in comparison to a CC, Regal, TSX, etc.

It probably is behind BMW and Mercedes by a noticeable amount as a pure luxury car. But it's hard for me to say with certainty if that's the 3 series / C Class or 5 series / E class. It doesn't possess that leaden feel of the prime German metal.

That's ok, I actually prefer this. As one who loves GM Epsilon cars, and has always wanted a 93 (but with more legroom), this car strikes a chord with me.

But the ultimate question is "why would I take this over a Regal"?

Rear seat room perhaps. That might be the only reason, aside from whatever pricing dynamics are in place at the time. A Regal GS is likely a way better deal. A more pedestrian Regal selling for the same price raises a real problem.

The cars are just way too similar in the drive. Like Grand Ams and Aleros, its like the same car in a slightly different shape. And in this case, although I did not think i would like having the choice, I actually do.

I'd gladly drive this car.

I endorse this vehicle and Saab sticking around because of it. However, Saab desperately needs to inject some unique personality into the car, and they need to get the interior to be nicer. What they have is a start. There is a need to take it to the next level in a big way in order to stick around.

My own personal rating is B+ (dings for wishes for more power and better steering), I have market adjusted it vs. it's 'intended competition' to a B-.

Just to be certain though, I would gladly drive one.....but I can't buy it at a Buick dealer either............which has essentially 'the same' car........

Edited by regfootball