Ford, GM, Mazda recall cars for safety problems

Ford, GM, Mazda recall cars for safety problems

Wed Apr 12, 7:16 PM ET

Ford Motor Co. (NYSE:F - news), General Motors Corp. (NYSE:GM - news) and Mazda Motor Corp. (7261.T) are recalling almost 35,000 cars for a range of defects, U.S. safety regulators said on Wednesday.

Ford is recalling over 19,000 Mustang Cobras from the 2003 and 2004 model years because the accelerator pedal can stick on the floor carpeting in the car, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said.

The NHTSA said the accelerator problem could cause crashes when the pedal catches on a cutout area of the floor carpeting during sharp acceleration. Ford will install carpet "shields" to address the safety issue, the agency said.

In addition, GM is recalling almost 13,000 Buick Lucerne and Cadillac DTS sedans because of faulty power steering hoses.

The hoses on some of the 2006 models of those GM cars equipped with V8 engines are prone to separate and leak steering fluid, regulators said. That could cause drivers to loose steering power at low speeds or trigger engine fires.

GM will replace the defective parts, the NHTSA said.

Mazda is also recalling about 2,600 MX-5 Miatas from the 2006 model year because the driver-side front air bags are prone to dislodge a horn assembly from the steering wheel.

The regulatory agency said that problem, which is prone to happen at very cold temperatures, could injure drivers.

Mazda will replace the front air bags on the cars at risk for the problem, the NTSA said.

Link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060412/bs_nm/...wN5bnN1YmNhdA--

Haha Mazda has a recall. Anyone surprised? I'm not :deadhorse: . Ford needs to concentrate on Fords, rid themselves of this worthless pile of a brand.

MX-5 is for girls anyways, maybe these morons will dump there girlie rides and buy a freaking Solstice or Saturn Sky which will run circle around that commie POS.

Wake up and realize that they screwed up buying a Mazda.

Haha Mazda has a recall. Anyone surprised? I'm not  :deadhorse: . Ford needs to concentrate on Fords, rid themselves of this worthless pile of a brand.

MX-5 is for girls anyways, maybe these morons will dump there girlie rides and buy a freaking Solstice or Saturn Sky which will run circle around that commie POS.

Wake up and realize that they screwed up buying a Mazda.

Are you blind? Did you see in the title that GM is in the recall too? Get a pair of glasses or something, damn. Also the Mazda is a better driver's car, the SKy and Solstice look better though.

And do you forget Mazada is actually profitable for Ford, unlike it's own divisions? DO you also know the Fusion/Milan/Zephyer/EmKayZee are based off the 6 platform? Dude you're usually good for a cheap laugh, but this time your post was just ignorant/stupid.

Edited by Dodgefan

Are you blind? Did you see in the title that GM is in the recall too? Get a pair of glasses or something, damn. Also the Mazda is a better driver's car, the SKy and Solstice look better though.

And do you forget Mazada is actually profitable for Ford, unlike it's own divisions? DO you also know the Fusion/Milan/Zephyer/EmKayZee are based off the 6 platform? Dude you're usually good for a cheap laugh, but this time your post was just ignorant/stupid.

I don't realy care what platform the Fusion cars are on. They will hopefully be moved to a decent US offering when the redesign comes around. BTW, does the Fusion cars rust like the Mazda 6 did in its first years?

How is the girly MX-5 a better drivers car? What does Mazda have to go up against the Redline models? Mazda is going to be left out in the cold once those cars come along.

Sky Redline and GXP Solstice are going to be wiping the floor with Z4's, Boxsters and S2000's and the MX-5 isn't going to be on the radar. Gaurantee all those cars mentioned above are going to be rotting on dealer lots once the hot Solstice/Sky cars arrive.

They should be rotting right now with the base models! Foolish import humpers :nono:

I don't realy care what platform the Fusion cars are on. They will hopefully be moved to a decent US offering when the redesign comes around. BTW, does the Fusion cars rust like the Mazda 6 did in its first years?

How is the girly MX-5 a better drivers car? What does Mazda have to go up against the Redline models? Mazda is going to be left out in the cold once those cars come along.

Sky Redline and GXP Solstice are going to be wiping the floor with Z4's, Boxsters and S2000's and the MX-5 isn't going to be on the radar. Gaurantee all those cars mentioned above are going to be rotting on dealer lots once the hot Solstice/Sky cars arrive.

They should be rotting right now with the base models! Foolish import humpers :nono:

Don't forget that the Mazdaspeed MX-5 will be on par as far as horsepower and suspension. However keep in mind that the MX-5 has better steering response/feel and faster acceleration compared to the Solstice. Plus the Shifter is better. The Solstice is a more comfortable cruiser and is more stable at the limit. Each car has their own advantages/disadvantages. Me? I'd take the Sky RL cuz it's sex on wheels. However unlike you, I respect/acknowledge other cars that deserve respect. Like it or not, without the MX-5, I doubt the Solstice/Sky would even exist. I dunno where you get your sources but I have never seen a rusty 6, my uncle owns one and it looks great. I suppose you consider the Taurus platform better?

And for all your "import bashing" don't forget that that platform your beloved G6 rides on originated from Opel/Saab..which are...IMPORTS! They are as much imports as Mazda, so be a little more informed will ya? (Not that that's likely to happen).