Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

61 Skylark control arms

Hey guys, I'm back!! Got a tech question. One of my local shops is getting their butt kicked by this Buick. I haven't seen it mind you, I'm passing on second hand information. He says the control arm shafts thread through the frame and they are having a monster of a time getting them in and out. He asked if there was a special tool or a procedure to do this. Any suggestions?

Unfortunately, my chassis manual collection only ranges from 1965 to 1982.

I question... what Buick is this? If its a Skylark or Special, it might have a special chassis manual.

Normally, the bolts have serrations that lock it into the frame, like a giant lug stud. If its free spinning, I think one needs to cut the nut off and use a BFH to pop the bolts out. I imagine at that point, holes in the frame will need repair... I'm not sure if you can get oversized control arm shaft bolts. Otherwise, I suppose a skilled welder could close up the holes and retap the holes.

If they are not freespinning, its just a matter of getting them free. IIRC, they were a bear on my '95 Caprice. I imagine they would be harder with 30-odd more years of rust. Soak with PB Blaster... set on fire...hammer... quelch... set on fire... hammer... put huge cheater bar on socket and use physics to break stuff. Repeat as needed. ;-)