Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

BMW News: Rumorpile: BMW’s Diesel Plans On A Powerpoint Slide

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

November 13, 2012

This past week, a picture of a slideshow made its way onto the VWVortex forums. The picture shows what BMW might have planned for diesels in the U.S. in next couple of years.

Starting next year, the 3-Series sedan will bring back a diesel option in the first quarter. The second quarter BMW will introduce the 3-Series wagon with a diesel. In the third quarter, the 5-Series diesel will come out and will be followed by the new X5 diesel at the end of the year. For 2014, the 7-Series and X3 join in on the diesel fun.

What engines are in play with this plan? We know that a single-turbo 2.0L four-cylinder and a twin-turbo, 3.0L diesel inline-six are the two engines destined for the U.S. Car and Driver speculates the four-cylinder will go into the 3-Series, X3, and 5-Series, while the 7-Series and X5 go with the six.

When reached for comment by Car and Driver, BMW neither confirmed or denied the plans on the slide.

Source: VWVortex, Car and Driver

Related Stories:

BMW Bringing Back Diesels

Click here to view the article

diesel 3-series wagon? That might be just enough to get me into a BMW.

why? station wagons are so uggg. I would rather have the same space in a CUV and sit up higher with a better line of sight.

I've never been an SUV kinda guy. I'd buy a B-body wagon before a truck if Albert would let me... but he won't drive it due to the size, so I can't. The only SUV, and I use the term loosely, that I would buy for myself would be the Avalanche.

edit: And he'd just have to deal with it. :P

why? station wagons are so uggg. I would rather have the same space in a CUV and sit up higher with a better line of sight.

I think this falls into the "different strokes for different folks" category. I would much rather have a sport wagon than a CUV. I like the handling characteristics of the wagon better and could care less about sitting up high.

BTW - where are GM, Ford and Chrysler with the passenger car diesels? I guess they are still convinced Americans won't buy them even though it is a pretty damn high take rate on VW/Audi. Let's hope the diesel Cruze sells well enough to change their minds.

I've never been an SUV kinda guy. I'd buy a B-body wagon before a truck if Albert would let me... but he won't drive it due to the size, so I can't. The only SUV, and I use the term loosely, that I would buy for myself would be the Avalanche.

edit: And he'd just have to deal with it. :P

:rofl:

I think this falls into the "different strokes for different folks" category. I would much rather have a sport wagon than a CUV. I like the handling characteristics of the wagon better and could care less about sitting up high.

BTW - where are GM, Ford and Chrysler with the passenger car diesels? I guess they are still convinced Americans won't buy them even though it is a pretty damn high take rate on VW/Audi. Let's hope the diesel Cruze sells well enough to change their minds.

I agree with the Cruze, I hope the Diesel sells out so that it is heavily backordered and makes them rethink diesel.

In regards to the SUV versus wagon, I agree different strokes for different folks.

Then you would all be happy to give up a wagon if you had the Typhoon or Trailblazer SS? Those AWD SUV's totally rock for space and performance with a bit higher sitting line of site. :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

1. bcs296
      bcs296
    2. jcgable
      jcgable
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      BMW has announced today that it has signed a “letter of intent” with Chinese automaker Great Wall Motor on producing electric-versions of the Mini in China. The German automaker in a statement said the next steps will be agreeing on the details of a possible joint venture and clarifying various aspects such as a location for production. 
      The two have been in talks for almost the past two years - Great Wall confirmed the talks back in October. 
      It is expected that the electric Mini will be similar to the concept that debuted last year at the Frankfurt Motor show.
      BMW also confirmed that production of the electric Mini will also take place at their Oxford, Great Britain plant starting next year.
      Source: Reuters via Automotive News (Subscmiription Required), BMW
      Press Release is on Page 2

BMW Group plans joint venture for MINI electric vehicles in China
      MINI brand set for growth with local partner No plans for additional sales organisation in China Expansion of BMW Brilliance Automotive joint venture Munich. The BMW Group is in advanced discussions to ramp up the global success of its MINI brand through a new joint venture in China. A key element of the brand’s continued strategic development will be local production of future battery-electric MINI vehicles in the world’s largest market for electromobility. To this end, the BMW Group has signed a “letter of intent” with the Chinese manufacturer Great Wall Motor. In addition to production of the first battery electric MINI at the main plant in Oxford starting in 2019, this signals a further clear commitment to the electrified future of the MINI brand.
      Next steps will be to agree on the details of a possible joint venture and cooperation agreement and clarify aspects such as the choice of production location and concrete investments. The BMW Group has no plans to set up an additional sales organisation in China. The company is firmly committed to continuing the successful cooperation with the established sales structure.
      Independently of its strategic considerations towards the MINI brand, the BMW Group will further expand its highly successful BMW Brilliance Automotive (BBA) joint venture in China with its partner, Brilliance. In addition to its two automobile production locations, BBA already runs an engine plant, which includes a battery factory for electrified BMW brand vehicles produced locally in Shenyang. This is the first battery factory operated by a premium automobile manufacturer in China.
      In recent years, BBA has become a cornerstone of the BMW brand’s success in its largest market and serves as a model for the continued development of MINI in China. Around 560,000 BMW brand vehicles were delivered to customers in China in 2017 – more than in the next two largest markets, the US and Germany, combined. In 2017, China was MINI’s fourth-largest market, with around 35,000 units delivered. This underlines the brand’s additional global potential.
      The successful strategy for expansion of the BMW Group’s global production network obeys a clear rule: Production follows the market. However, expansion of the BMW brand in its largest markets, such as China, has not led to a decrease in production at the company’s German plants. On the contrary, between 2007 and 2017, production in Germany increased by close to a quarter to around 1.15 million vehicles per year. At the same time, almost half of all BMW production now takes place at plants outside Germany.
      A similar growth strategy could accelerate development of the MINI brand significantly without questioning the BMW Group’s commitment in the UK. The company has made significant investments over the years to step up its involvement in the country.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      BMW has announced today that it has signed a “letter of intent” with Chinese automaker Great Wall Motor on producing electric-versions of the Mini in China. The German automaker in a statement said the next steps will be agreeing on the details of a possible joint venture and clarifying various aspects such as a location for production. 
      The two have been in talks for almost the past two years - Great Wall confirmed the talks back in October. 
      It is expected that the electric Mini will be similar to the concept that debuted last year at the Frankfurt Motor show.
      BMW also confirmed that production of the electric Mini will also take place at their Oxford, Great Britain plant starting next year.
      Source: Reuters via Automotive News (Subscmiription Required), BMW
      Press Release is on Page 2

BMW Group plans joint venture for MINI electric vehicles in China
      MINI brand set for growth with local partner No plans for additional sales organisation in China Expansion of BMW Brilliance Automotive joint venture Munich. The BMW Group is in advanced discussions to ramp up the global success of its MINI brand through a new joint venture in China. A key element of the brand’s continued strategic development will be local production of future battery-electric MINI vehicles in the world’s largest market for electromobility. To this end, the BMW Group has signed a “letter of intent” with the Chinese manufacturer Great Wall Motor. In addition to production of the first battery electric MINI at the main plant in Oxford starting in 2019, this signals a further clear commitment to the electrified future of the MINI brand.
      Next steps will be to agree on the details of a possible joint venture and cooperation agreement and clarify aspects such as the choice of production location and concrete investments. The BMW Group has no plans to set up an additional sales organisation in China. The company is firmly committed to continuing the successful cooperation with the established sales structure.
      Independently of its strategic considerations towards the MINI brand, the BMW Group will further expand its highly successful BMW Brilliance Automotive (BBA) joint venture in China with its partner, Brilliance. In addition to its two automobile production locations, BBA already runs an engine plant, which includes a battery factory for electrified BMW brand vehicles produced locally in Shenyang. This is the first battery factory operated by a premium automobile manufacturer in China.
      In recent years, BBA has become a cornerstone of the BMW brand’s success in its largest market and serves as a model for the continued development of MINI in China. Around 560,000 BMW brand vehicles were delivered to customers in China in 2017 – more than in the next two largest markets, the US and Germany, combined. In 2017, China was MINI’s fourth-largest market, with around 35,000 units delivered. This underlines the brand’s additional global potential.
      The successful strategy for expansion of the BMW Group’s global production network obeys a clear rule: Production follows the market. However, expansion of the BMW brand in its largest markets, such as China, has not led to a decrease in production at the company’s German plants. On the contrary, between 2007 and 2017, production in Germany increased by close to a quarter to around 1.15 million vehicles per year. At the same time, almost half of all BMW production now takes place at plants outside Germany.
      A similar growth strategy could accelerate development of the MINI brand significantly without questioning the BMW Group’s commitment in the UK. The company has made significant investments over the years to step up its involvement in the country.
    • By William Maley
      Nine years ago, Porsche introduced its first diesel-powered model, the Cayenne SUV. This was followed by diesel variants of the Panamera and Macan. But Porsche has now ended production of all diesel models.
      According to Autocar, Porsche has ended sales of the Macan S Diesel and Panamera 4S Diesel. A Porsche spokesman said the move mirrors the “cultural shift” of the brand's customers. The spokesman also mentioned, “another software update” for the diesel engines that are part of “ongoing consultation with the authorities”, likely hinting at regulatory issues concerning the future of these engines.
      The removal of diesel is no great loss to Porsche as a source tells Autocar the fuel only made up 15% of automaker’s total worldwide sales. Porsche's focus will now be on hybrids and the upcoming Mission E electric vehicle.
      Source: Autocar

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Nine years ago, Porsche introduced its first diesel-powered model, the Cayenne SUV. This was followed by diesel variants of the Panamera and Macan. But Porsche has now ended production of all diesel models.
      According to Autocar, Porsche has ended sales of the Macan S Diesel and Panamera 4S Diesel. A Porsche spokesman said the move mirrors the “cultural shift” of the brand's customers. The spokesman also mentioned, “another software update” for the diesel engines that are part of “ongoing consultation with the authorities”, likely hinting at regulatory issues concerning the future of these engines.
      The removal of diesel is no great loss to Porsche as a source tells Autocar the fuel only made up 15% of automaker’s total worldwide sales. Porsche's focus will now be on hybrids and the upcoming Mission E electric vehicle.
      Source: Autocar
    • By William Maley
      It seems Volkswagen wasn't the only German automaker that was using a defeat device in their diesel vehicles. Over the weekend, German paper Bild am Sonntag obtained documents that revealed Diamler may have been using illegal software modifications to pass emission tests. U.S. investigators looking into Daimler found two engine management functions,
      Slipguard: Recognized whether or not the vehicle was being tested in a lab Bit 15: Turned off the emissions cleaning after 26 kilometers (16 miles) of driving Bild also cited emails from Daimler engineers questioning whether or not the functions were legal or not.
      “The authorities know the documents and no complaint has been filed, The documents available to Bild have obviously selectively been released in order to harm Daimler and its 290,000 employees," a Diamler spokesman told Reuters.
      The spokesman declined to comment on the content of the documents, saying that it " had agreed upon strict confidentiality with the Department of Justice."
      Diamler has been under investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice and Stuttgart prosecutors over allegations of possible cheating.
      Source: Bild via Reuters

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook