Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

BMW News: Rumorpile: BMW’s Diesel Plans On A Powerpoint Slide

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

November 13, 2012

This past week, a picture of a slideshow made its way onto the VWVortex forums. The picture shows what BMW might have planned for diesels in the U.S. in next couple of years.

Starting next year, the 3-Series sedan will bring back a diesel option in the first quarter. The second quarter BMW will introduce the 3-Series wagon with a diesel. In the third quarter, the 5-Series diesel will come out and will be followed by the new X5 diesel at the end of the year. For 2014, the 7-Series and X3 join in on the diesel fun.

What engines are in play with this plan? We know that a single-turbo 2.0L four-cylinder and a twin-turbo, 3.0L diesel inline-six are the two engines destined for the U.S. Car and Driver speculates the four-cylinder will go into the 3-Series, X3, and 5-Series, while the 7-Series and X5 go with the six.

When reached for comment by Car and Driver, BMW neither confirmed or denied the plans on the slide.

Source: VWVortex, Car and Driver

Related Stories:

BMW Bringing Back Diesels

Click here to view the article

diesel 3-series wagon? That might be just enough to get me into a BMW.

why? station wagons are so uggg. I would rather have the same space in a CUV and sit up higher with a better line of sight.

I've never been an SUV kinda guy. I'd buy a B-body wagon before a truck if Albert would let me... but he won't drive it due to the size, so I can't. The only SUV, and I use the term loosely, that I would buy for myself would be the Avalanche.

edit: And he'd just have to deal with it. :P

why? station wagons are so uggg. I would rather have the same space in a CUV and sit up higher with a better line of sight.

I think this falls into the "different strokes for different folks" category. I would much rather have a sport wagon than a CUV. I like the handling characteristics of the wagon better and could care less about sitting up high.

BTW - where are GM, Ford and Chrysler with the passenger car diesels? I guess they are still convinced Americans won't buy them even though it is a pretty damn high take rate on VW/Audi. Let's hope the diesel Cruze sells well enough to change their minds.

I've never been an SUV kinda guy. I'd buy a B-body wagon before a truck if Albert would let me... but he won't drive it due to the size, so I can't. The only SUV, and I use the term loosely, that I would buy for myself would be the Avalanche.

edit: And he'd just have to deal with it. :P

:rofl:

I think this falls into the "different strokes for different folks" category. I would much rather have a sport wagon than a CUV. I like the handling characteristics of the wagon better and could care less about sitting up high.

BTW - where are GM, Ford and Chrysler with the passenger car diesels? I guess they are still convinced Americans won't buy them even though it is a pretty damn high take rate on VW/Audi. Let's hope the diesel Cruze sells well enough to change their minds.

I agree with the Cruze, I hope the Diesel sells out so that it is heavily backordered and makes them rethink diesel.

In regards to the SUV versus wagon, I agree different strokes for different folks.

Then you would all be happy to give up a wagon if you had the Typhoon or Trailblazer SS? Those AWD SUV's totally rock for space and performance with a bit higher sitting line of site. :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      A new report from Automotive News says that Ford is planning to end North American production of the Fusion sedan at the end of this decades. According to sources, the automaker has begun to notify suppliers that it will not produce the next-generation Fusion at their Hermosillo, Mexico plant. Suppliers have also been told that Ford will stop producing the Mondeo (Fusion in other markets) at their Valencia, Spain plant.
      This is further complicated by a report from Reuters saying the company is consolidating production to a plant in China. Ford has since denied this report.
      “We have no plans to export the next-generation Fusion/Mondeo from China to North America and Europe. Fusion/Mondeo are an important part of the Ford car lineup. We will have more information to share about the next Fusion/Mondeo at a later date,” the company said in a statement.
      A spokesman declined to comment when asked if Ford would stop selling Fusion in the U.S., replace it with another vehicle, or build it elsewhere.
      Previously, Ford executives have said that the shift from cars to crossovers/SUVs will be permanent. Back in October, the company announced that it would be cutting back on the number of car nameplate it offers, but wouldn't go into details. Ford has already ended production of the C-Max Energi and plans on ending the C-Max Hybrid sometime next year. The Fiesta and Taurus are reportedly on the chopping block as well.
      What does the future hold for the Fusion? At the moment, it is tough to say.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Reuters
    • By William Maley
      A new report from Automotive News says that Ford is planning to end North American production of the Fusion sedan at the end of this decades. According to sources, the automaker has begun to notify suppliers that it will not produce the next-generation Fusion at their Hermosillo, Mexico plant. Suppliers have also been told that Ford will stop producing the Mondeo (Fusion in other markets) at their Valencia, Spain plant.
      This is further complicated by a report from Reuters saying the company is consolidating production to a plant in China. Ford has since denied this report.
      “We have no plans to export the next-generation Fusion/Mondeo from China to North America and Europe. Fusion/Mondeo are an important part of the Ford car lineup. We will have more information to share about the next Fusion/Mondeo at a later date,” the company said in a statement.
      A spokesman declined to comment when asked if Ford would stop selling Fusion in the U.S., replace it with another vehicle, or build it elsewhere.
      Previously, Ford executives have said that the shift from cars to crossovers/SUVs will be permanent. Back in October, the company announced that it would be cutting back on the number of car nameplate it offers, but wouldn't go into details. Ford has already ended production of the C-Max Energi and plans on ending the C-Max Hybrid sometime next year. The Fiesta and Taurus are reportedly on the chopping block as well.
      What does the future hold for the Fusion? At the moment, it is tough to say.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Reuters

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Diesel is quite popular in Europe partly due to subsidies provided by governments - in this case, a lower tax rate on diesel fuel than gasoline. The thinking at the time was diesel engines burn their fuel more efficiently than gas engines, thus they contribute less to global warming. But as the Volkswagen diesel emission scandal would reveal, diesel vehicles aren't that much cleaner, producing more nitrogen oxide emissions than their gas counterparts. Now, one CEO from a German automaker is saying that maybe it is time to end the subsidies.
      “We should question the logic and purpose of diesel subsidies. The money can be invested more sensibly to promote more environmentally friendly technologies,” said Volkswagen CEO Matthias Müller to German paper Handelsblatt.
      This is quite the surprise as Volkswagen along with other German automakers said diesel still had a future due to new pollution reduction technologies. Also, Volkswagen did very well with the sales of diesel models. But with the dark cloud of the diesel emission scandal, Müller likely sees the writing on the wall and wants to get out ahead.
      Müller went on to say that he was in favor of banning older diesel vehicles from city centers. But he said that newer diesel vehicles should be exempt from the bans as they meet "stricter standards on nitrogen oxide emissions".
      Source: Handelsblatt via New York Times
    • By William Maley
      Diesel is quite popular in Europe partly due to subsidies provided by governments - in this case, a lower tax rate on diesel fuel than gasoline. The thinking at the time was diesel engines burn their fuel more efficiently than gas engines, thus they contribute less to global warming. But as the Volkswagen diesel emission scandal would reveal, diesel vehicles aren't that much cleaner, producing more nitrogen oxide emissions than their gas counterparts. Now, one CEO from a German automaker is saying that maybe it is time to end the subsidies.
      “We should question the logic and purpose of diesel subsidies. The money can be invested more sensibly to promote more environmentally friendly technologies,” said Volkswagen CEO Matthias Müller to German paper Handelsblatt.
      This is quite the surprise as Volkswagen along with other German automakers said diesel still had a future due to new pollution reduction technologies. Also, Volkswagen did very well with the sales of diesel models. But with the dark cloud of the diesel emission scandal, Müller likely sees the writing on the wall and wants to get out ahead.
      Müller went on to say that he was in favor of banning older diesel vehicles from city centers. But he said that newer diesel vehicles should be exempt from the bans as they meet "stricter standards on nitrogen oxide emissions".
      Source: Handelsblatt via New York Times

View full article
    • By William Maley
      General Motors had a field day when Ford switched from metal to aluminum for their truck beds. The company ran a series of ads showing how their metal beds could stand up to the rigors of a pickup truck's life compared to the Ford's. So it seems slightly ironic that GM is planning to use a lightweight material for their next-generation truck beds.
      The Wall Street Journal and Automotive News have learned from sources that GM is planning to use carbon fiber in their full-size pickup beds. According to one source, carbon fiber will be part of a mix of different materials, including aluminum. The move makes sense as stricter fuel economy regulations come into effect. Finding ways to cut down on weight is a good way to boost fuel economy.
      There is a big issue with carbon fiber, price. The material is very expensive to produce due to the long, labor-intensive process. The Journal reports that at first, the beds would be used on the premium versions of the trucks (High Country and Denali). It would trickle down to lower trims as "more efficient production processes" come online.
      The new beds are expected to debut within the next two years.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Wall Street Journal (Subscription Required)

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook