GM Ultralite Concept (1992)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yxaV8zdEu4

If GM was serious about maximizing fuel efficiency in a production model, why not revisit the 1992 GM Ultralite concept car with today's technological advances?

Sorry, I was watching Demolition Man on TV this morning. I decided to Google more about this car and found the above YouTube video. This would seem to be a more viable option than going hybrid or electric.

Food for thought!

Demolition Man is an AWESOME MOVIE!

The Ultra Lite is a Great car, not sure why they will not review this as you could so kill the competition with an auto like this. With the advances in Carbon Fiber, it has to be cheaper and easier to produce a body shell like that now. Ease of entering and exiting the car with the gull wing doors that also offer protection from the elements is cool.

I could see this as a High Compression CNG two stroke engine.

I foresee it raked over the coals once it suffers in a crash test because it doesn't weigh 6 tons and one can't look down on tractor trailers anymore.

I laugh at the talking heads in the video predicting the future. Little do they know that in 2005 that average popular GM vehicle is over 2 tons, squared off and 6 foot tall.

It would be nice if future cars looked like they were from the future again.

I agree with your last statement, SAmadei. Too me, many Ford's have an egg-shape to them, which is not very futuristic in my eyes. But that's what inspired me to address this issue with looking back at the Ultralite. I see a ton of compact and sub-compact cars on the way to/from work every day. I think GM is doing well finally in this market with the Sonic, Cruze and Verano. But they can be doing more. While the Sonic is nice, I can't say I find it nicer (on the eyes) than it's competition, plus there's the stigma of the interior being too basic looking (I've had Sonic, Spark and Fiesta rentals this year and I find the GM offerings lacking - see of gray for sure). The Kia Rio catches my eye, as does the Fiesta. GM's concepts always had style in my eyes, even if some of it was too far from production intents. The Ultralite would make a good offering for a fuel efficient commuter car with style. Of course trunk space would be needed, plus I don't know if the gullwing doors could stay. But here was a car offering 100 MPG 21 years ago! We have the technology to make this car happen today - why keep it shelved?

Money seems to always be the key element, some will probably say the carbon fiber is too expensive but I suspect Oil companies are more than willing to pay auto companies to keep certain technologies off the street to maintain their monopoly on our pocket books.

This is why we need to shake things up by going to CNG, Hybrids (battery plus Generator) versions etc.