ARRRRRGH

zhawk

Sighs, it never rains but it pours, right?

I had my new 71 Camaro at a show a couple of weeks ago and on the way home I started to hear a knocking from the engine compartment. LOUD. I immediately got into a weigh station (lucky it was right there) and shut down.

Thankfully my brother had trailered his 73 to the same show and we unloaded it and put my car on the trailer. He then let me drive his car to my place (with only 100 miles on the new engine) while he followed me.

The next day Tammy (my wife), our 2 kids (7 and 11), and I pulled the engine out and tore it down. The front two piston rods were completely drive at the main bearings. In fact number 2 had no main bearings left and was cracked and had been hitting the cylinder wall. Thus the knocking. The crank is damamged as well, of course.

Anyway, we talked and decided for now to get a crate motor for it. Got one of the GM performance parts engines and then had to get a new intake and carb since the onces on the old motor were way to aggressive for street driving.

I also decided to replace all of the hoses since I had the engine out and when I went to disconnect one of the hoses to the heater box, the tube on the box came off. Time to replace that too. Thankfully, it is an easy job with the engine out.

Only a little more to go before I put this engine into the Camaro. Then I can probably quit calling my brother for advice for a while. I am inexperienced in major work and he's been a massive help.

Sighs, it never rains but it pours, right?

I had my new 71 Camaro at a show a couple of weeks ago and on the way home I started to hear a knocking from the engine compartment. LOUD. I immediately got into a weigh station (lucky it was right there) and shut down.

Thankfully my brother had trailered his 73 to the same show and we unloaded it and put my car on the trailer. He then let me drive his car to my place (with only 100 miles on the new engine) while he followed me.

The next day Tammy (my wife), our 2 kids (7 and 11), and I pulled the engine out and tore it down. The front two piston rods were completely drive at the main bearings. In fact number 2 had no main bearings left and was cracked and had been hitting the cylinder wall. Thus the knocking. The crank is damamged as well, of course.

Anyway, we talked and decided for now to get a crate motor for it. Got one of the GM performance parts engines and then had to get a new intake and carb since the onces on the old motor were way to aggressive for street driving.

I also decided to replace all of the hoses since I had the engine out and when I went to disconnect one of the hoses to the heater box, the tube on the box came off. Time to replace that too. Thankfully, it is an easy job with the engine out.

Only a little more to go before I put this engine into the Camaro. Then I can probably quit calling my brother for advice for a while. I am inexperienced in major work and he's been a massive help.

You certainly work fast. Is the bad engine a #s matching piece? If so, I'd save and rebuild it over time.

Nope, the original engine is being held onto by one of the previous owners he offered me it as a short block that NEEDS to be rebuilt for the price of $2500.

That's not happening.

The engine that was in the car was a 4 bolt main that had been built as a drag racing engine. I am going to keep it though and rebuild it over time. NOw I have a choice of engines for my 67 C-10. :ohyeah:

You can tell Tammy that I work fast. She's been pushing to get this done.

I know what you mean. We have had the engine out of Tammy's IROC for over a year now as we put everything back together.

We wanted the 71 back up on the road though and are trying to move things along.

We agree about the original engine. I would love to have the stock engine to go with this car but I guess its not going to happen. The guy is basically being a bonehead. He thinks everything is worth a whole lot more than it really is. Oh well.

The engine cost me $1670 plus tax (total of $1841). We then ordered an Edelbrock intake and Carb (plus a few extra parts). We have about 2700 into everything so far and should be putting the engine into the car this weekend.

Tammy is hoping we have everything done and the car running reliably before Mother's Day. She plans on taking it to a show near our home that day.

Well, the engine is sitting in bay now. FINALLY!

We had to pull the tranny out since we couldn't get it to line up right. Now engine is sitting in the bay, tranny is supported by its brace but guess what? The mounts we were sold are not the right ones. Sigh. We are taking a break and then running into town to get another set. We'll be making sure these ones are right.

Heck, we wouldn't have to replace them but the old passenger side one was cracked.

I am really hoping to get this pretty much together today. I have to get a nap in this evening before heading to work tonight.

OK, for all of you experienced mechanics. Go ahead and laugh. This is my 1st engine install. It figures that it would be with a manual tranny.