Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC 1TB memory Card

David

Sandisk announces first Extreme Pro SDXC 1TB memory Card.

So this is a prototype they showed off, but being that they have a 512GB SDXC card, I would say you might just be able to buy this by Xmas.

Press Release - 1TB SDXC Extreme Pro memory card

This just shows how fast we are moving into the 4K / 8K word of recording and storing data and how BIG DATA is here now.

2014 They showed off their 512GB SDXC card and started selling it in 2015, now here is the Photokina show and they have a 1TB SDXC card, so I imagine by Xmas or spring of next year they will start selling this card.

No matter what, the world is getting smaller and smaller as we increase our density of storage.

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Not really necessary for the vast majority of people yet. 

Go Pro 5 - 4K / 8K product designed to use this type of storage.

GO Pro 5 Video Release Party

Plus for those that use DSLR in both picture taking and video mode, I think this will eat up the storage fast.

I also wonder how fast these larger cards will be supported by smartphones like the Moto-Z with the camera option you posted.

I can see this going mainstream sooner than most might realize.

Just now, dfelt said:

Go Pro 5 - 4K / 8K product designed to use this type of storage.

GO Pro 5 Video Release Party

Plus for those that use DSLR in both picture taking and video mode, I think this will eat up the storage fast.

I also wonder how fast these larger cards will be supported by smartphones like the Moto-Z with the camera option you posted.

I can see this going mainstream sooner than most might realize.

1tb of storage is 896 minutes / 14.93 hours of 4k Video.... Unless you're Jane Goodall in the jungle with no way to dump your video files, I simply cannot see the point of that much storage at this time. 

Fair enough point made, yet with that being said, the Go Pro 5 has WiFi and they are now offering a cloud based connection, so you record everything, delete nothing and when your back in a wifi area you upload the videos to your cloud for others viewing but still have it on the card. 

My gut as an engineer in the enterprise storage arena is that people will fill this card up faster than we think as they will not bother about ever deleting pictures / videos again.

Everything will be stored forever. :P

Unless your OCD like me and like to have the card empty. :D I still have backups elsewhere in triplicate. 

On Amazon, a SanDisk 512gb is $345 and offers 7.5 hours of 4k video storage. I imagine the price per GB on the 1tb card will be even higher. 

You can get a 256gb of the same speed for $89 that gets you 3.7 hours of 4k storage. 

You can buy nearly four 256gb cards for the same price as one 512gb card. 

The value simply isn't there except in very specific and specialty circumstances. 

• Agree 1