Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

Honda News: Honda Planning A New Dedicated Hybrid For 2018

While the big story for Honda at the Detroit Auto show was the 2018 Odyssey minivan, there was another announcement that was left as a footnote. For 2018, Honda will introduce a new dedicated hybrid model.

This is part of Honda’s overall electrification strategy, where it plans half of its new vehicle reveals within the next years will have some sort of electric-drive technology. By 2030, the automaker hopes two-thirds of their vehicle sales from electrified vehicles.

Not many details were released on the new hybrid model except that it would be “two-motor hybrid system.” 

Honda also announced that the two-motor hybrid system would appear on its light-truck lineup. Possible candidates include the CR-V, Odyssey, and Pilot. 

Source: Honda
Press Release is on Page 2

Honda Adds All-New Dedicated Hybrid Model to Growing Electrified Lineup

Jan 9, 2017 - DETROIT

• New hybrid model will be made in America and launch in 2018
  • Two-motor hybrid system to be applied to light truck lineup
  • More than half of all new models launching in next two years will be electrified vehicles

Honda today announced a new dedicated hybrid model that will be made in America and launch nationwide in 2018, as part of the Honda Electrification Initiative, which will expand the company's portfolio of electrified vehicles. Honda also announced it will expand the use of its innovative two-motor hybrid powertrain from passenger cars to its light truck lineup in the future.

"Half of the all-new models Honda will launch in the United States in the coming two years will be electrified vehicles," said Takahiro Hachigo, President & CEO of Honda Motor Co., Ltd. "In the long term, electrified vehicles are key to the future of carbon-free mobility."

Honda set a global target for two-thirds of all sales to come from electrified models by 2030 and to halve its total company CO2 emissions from 2000 levels by 2050.

The new, dedicated hybrid vehicle will utilize Honda's innovative two-motor hybrid system, which is currently deployed in the 49 mpg Accord Hybrid, the most fuel-efficient midsize sedan in America. The new model will be produced at an existing plant in the United States. Additional details on the vehicle and its manufacturing will be announced closer to launch.

In December 2016, Honda began the launch of its new Clarity series of electrified vehicles, starting with the Clarity Fuel Cell. The Clarity Fuel Cell is available through select California Honda dealers and boasts the highest range of any zero-emissions vehicle in America with its 366-mile EPA range rating.1 This year, Honda will launch the Clarity Electric and the Clarity Plug-In Hybrid, as the two remaining models in its Clarity series of premium midsize electrified vehicles. 

View full article

Yawn, they have been there and done that, Guess here is hoping the 3rd time is the charm.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      I was a bit surprised when I got word that I would be spending a few days with a Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross only a few weeks after doing a brief first drive. As I noted in my report, I came away pretty impressed with certain aspects of this latest contender in the compact crossover class. But there were some items that I needed more time to mess around with such as the infotainment system and powertrain. With a bit more time behind the wheel, how would Mitsubishi’s newest model fare? 
      As I talked about in my quick first drive, Mitsubishi’s design staff went crazy with the Eclipse Cross. Sharp angles, a split shape for the tailgate, and aggressive front end treatment will draw a lot of comment. But credit should be given to the design team as they have created something that does stand out in a very crowded class. The polarizing design can be toned down a lot if you choose a different color than the red as seen on my tester. 
      Sadly, that polarizing design doesn’t carry into the interior. But the plain look does allow for most controls to be easy to find and reach. Only the placement of the trip computer controls (behind the steering wheel) and climate control (nestled deep in the center stack) will invoke some frustration. Mitsubishi has also made some noticeable improvements to overall interior quality. There are higher quality hard plastics and some soft-touch materials used throughout. Also, there were no glaring build quality concerns that I noticed in the Outlander Sport.
      The front seats provide decent support for short trips, but I was wishing for more padding after doing a day trip to Ohio. The sloping roofline and large sunroof will eat into rear headroom, but legroom is decent for most passengers. Cargo space is on the low side with 22.6 cubic feet with the seats up and 48.9 cubic feet when folded. The sloping tailgate design does also mean you’ll need to plan carefully as to how you plan on loading cargo.
      Mitsubishi equips all Eclipse Cross models with a seven-inch touchscreen, but only the LE and above get a free-standing version with a touchpad controller. The touchpad controller reminds a lot of the Lexus’ Remote Touch system and its issues. Both systems exhibit some slowness to respond when your finger is moving across the pad. At least the Mitsubishi system has a touchscreen as another input method, but you’ll be stretching your arm to use it. The graphics and overall performance do trail competitors, but it is a huge step forward when compared to the previous systems Mitsubishi has installed. Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatibility are standard on LE models and above.
      A new turbocharged 1.5L four-cylinder powers the Eclipse Cross. Output is rated at 152 horsepower and 184 pound-feet of torque. All models come with a CVT and the choice of either front or Mitsubishi’s Super All-Wheel-Control (S-AWC). During my first drive, I came away mostly impressed with the turbo-four as it moved the vehicle with subtle verve around town. This still held true during my time with the vehicle. But I did find the engine runs out of steam at higher speeds, making it somewhat difficult to pass quickly when traveling on the highway. Also, the engine does sound somewhat unrefined in hard acceleration. The CVT is similar; providing excellent performance around town, but noticeably struggles on the highway. 
      EPA fuel economy on the Eclipse Cross SEL S-AWC is 25 City/26 Highway/25 Combined. My average for the five-day period I had the vehicle landed around 27.2 on a 70/30 mix of highway and city driving.
      Despite the Eclipse name on the vehicle, this is not a sporty crossover. There is pronounced body lean and the steering feels noticeably light. But for most buyers, this is not a big issue. They’re more concerned about how the Eclipse Cross rides and the news is better. The suspension does a great job of absorbing most bumps. Wind noise is kept to very acceptable levels, but there was a fair amount of road noise coming inside - especially when traveling on the highway. This makes long trips somewhat tiring.
      While many enthusiasts may bemoan the fact that Mitsubishi is using the Eclipse name on a crossover, I’ll be the first to admit this is their best vehicle in quite some time. The design and turbo engine help the model stand out in what is becoming a quite crowded class. Plus, the starting price of $23,295 for the base ES makes it quite tempting. Still, the Eclipse Cross does trail the pack in terms of comfort, cargo space, and performance at higher speeds. There is room for improvement, but Mitsubishi has most of the basics right on the money.
      Disclaimer: Mitsubishi Provided the Eclipse Cross, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2018
      Make: Mitsubishi
      Model: Eclipse Cross
      Trim: SEL S-AWC
      Engine: Turbocharged 1.5L Direct-Injected Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: CVT, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 152 @ 5,550
      Torque @ RPM: 184 @ 2,000
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 25/26/25
      Curb Weight: 3,516 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Okazaki, Japan
      Base Price: $27,895
      As Tested Price: $32,310 (Includes $995.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Touring Package - $2,500.00
      Red Diamond Paint - $595.00
      Accessory Tonneau Cover - $190.00
      Accessory Carpeted Floormats and Portfolio - $135.00

View full article
    • By William Maley
      I was a bit surprised when I got word that I would be spending a few days with a Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross only a few weeks after doing a brief first drive. As I noted in my report, I came away pretty impressed with certain aspects of this latest contender in the compact crossover class. But there were some items that I needed more time to mess around with such as the infotainment system and powertrain. With a bit more time behind the wheel, how would Mitsubishi’s newest model fare? 
      As I talked about in my quick first drive, Mitsubishi’s design staff went crazy with the Eclipse Cross. Sharp angles, a split shape for the tailgate, and aggressive front end treatment will draw a lot of comment. But credit should be given to the design team as they have created something that does stand out in a very crowded class. The polarizing design can be toned down a lot if you choose a different color than the red as seen on my tester. 
      Sadly, that polarizing design doesn’t carry into the interior. But the plain look does allow for most controls to be easy to find and reach. Only the placement of the trip computer controls (behind the steering wheel) and climate control (nestled deep in the center stack) will invoke some frustration. Mitsubishi has also made some noticeable improvements to overall interior quality. There are higher quality hard plastics and some soft-touch materials used throughout. Also, there were no glaring build quality concerns that I noticed in the Outlander Sport.
      The front seats provide decent support for short trips, but I was wishing for more padding after doing a day trip to Ohio. The sloping roofline and large sunroof will eat into rear headroom, but legroom is decent for most passengers. Cargo space is on the low side with 22.6 cubic feet with the seats up and 48.9 cubic feet when folded. The sloping tailgate design does also mean you’ll need to plan carefully as to how you plan on loading cargo.
      Mitsubishi equips all Eclipse Cross models with a seven-inch touchscreen, but only the LE and above get a free-standing version with a touchpad controller. The touchpad controller reminds a lot of the Lexus’ Remote Touch system and its issues. Both systems exhibit some slowness to respond when your finger is moving across the pad. At least the Mitsubishi system has a touchscreen as another input method, but you’ll be stretching your arm to use it. The graphics and overall performance do trail competitors, but it is a huge step forward when compared to the previous systems Mitsubishi has installed. Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatibility are standard on LE models and above.
      A new turbocharged 1.5L four-cylinder powers the Eclipse Cross. Output is rated at 152 horsepower and 184 pound-feet of torque. All models come with a CVT and the choice of either front or Mitsubishi’s Super All-Wheel-Control (S-AWC). During my first drive, I came away mostly impressed with the turbo-four as it moved the vehicle with subtle verve around town. This still held true during my time with the vehicle. But I did find the engine runs out of steam at higher speeds, making it somewhat difficult to pass quickly when traveling on the highway. Also, the engine does sound somewhat unrefined in hard acceleration. The CVT is similar; providing excellent performance around town, but noticeably struggles on the highway. 
      EPA fuel economy on the Eclipse Cross SEL S-AWC is 25 City/26 Highway/25 Combined. My average for the five-day period I had the vehicle landed around 27.2 on a 70/30 mix of highway and city driving.
      Despite the Eclipse name on the vehicle, this is not a sporty crossover. There is pronounced body lean and the steering feels noticeably light. But for most buyers, this is not a big issue. They’re more concerned about how the Eclipse Cross rides and the news is better. The suspension does a great job of absorbing most bumps. Wind noise is kept to very acceptable levels, but there was a fair amount of road noise coming inside - especially when traveling on the highway. This makes long trips somewhat tiring.
      While many enthusiasts may bemoan the fact that Mitsubishi is using the Eclipse name on a crossover, I’ll be the first to admit this is their best vehicle in quite some time. The design and turbo engine help the model stand out in what is becoming a quite crowded class. Plus, the starting price of $23,295 for the base ES makes it quite tempting. Still, the Eclipse Cross does trail the pack in terms of comfort, cargo space, and performance at higher speeds. There is room for improvement, but Mitsubishi has most of the basics right on the money.
      Disclaimer: Mitsubishi Provided the Eclipse Cross, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2018
      Make: Mitsubishi
      Model: Eclipse Cross
      Trim: SEL S-AWC
      Engine: Turbocharged 1.5L Direct-Injected Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: CVT, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 152 @ 5,550
      Torque @ RPM: 184 @ 2,000
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 25/26/25
      Curb Weight: 3,516 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Okazaki, Japan
      Base Price: $27,895
      As Tested Price: $32,310 (Includes $995.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Touring Package - $2,500.00
      Red Diamond Paint - $595.00
      Accessory Tonneau Cover - $190.00
      Accessory Carpeted Floormats and Portfolio - $135.00
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Ford unveiled the completely redesigned 2020 Ford Escape today ahead of its official showing at the New York Auto Show in two weeks.  Some of the biggest news about the Escape comes under the hood where 4 new powertrains debut. 
      The standard engine will be a 1.5 liter Ecoboost 3-cylinder that can run as a 2 cylinder during light load situations.  The engine is projected to produce 180 horsepower and 177 lb-ft of torque when fueled with premium gas. This is the first Ford engine with cylinder deactivation. The engine will be standard issue on S, SE, and SEL level trims. When properly equipped, the 1.5T will tow up to 2,000 lbs. 
      For those wanting more power, the Titanium trim will have a 250 horsepower, 275 lb-ft Ecoboost displacing 2.0 liters and coming standard with AWD. When running 93 octane, Ford says it will propel the Escape to 60 10% faster than the outgoing model. Towing for the 2.0T is maximum rated at 3,500 lbs. Both Ecoboost engines send power to the wheels via an 8-speed automatic.
      For the Eco-minded the hybrid returns to the Escape lineup after a 7 year absence, also joined by a plug-in variant.  The Plug-in uses an all new 2.5 liter 4-cylinder Atkinson cycle hybrid engine paired with a CVT.  The combined output of the hybrid is rated at 198 horsepower and is capable of 85 mph in electric only mode. The hybrid will be available only on the SE Sport and Titanium trim.
      The Plug-in hybrid will be available on SE, SEL, and Titanium trims. It will have an electric only range of 30 miles. Level 1 and Level 2 charging are available. Level 1 110 volt outlet takes 10 to 11 hours for a full charge from empty, switching to level 2 cuts that time to about 3.5 hours. Total system power increases over the standard hybrid to 209 horsepower, but will not be available with All-wheel drive. 
      Both hybrid models feature 4 EV modes that allow the driver to adjust drive settings to the most suitable for conditions and needs.
      Auto EV mode - the vehicle decides whether to run on gasoline or electric power. EV Now Mode - the vehicle operates on all-electric drive. EV Later Mode - the vehicle operates on gasoline power to conserve electric miles for later EV Charge Mode - the vehicle operates on gasoline and recharges the battery for later EV only mode. Helping on the efficiency front, Ford designers made the most aerodynamic Escape ever.  They made a more sloped roofline and strake, an efficient underbody, and an optimized liftgate spoiler. Overall, the 2020 Escape is 200lbs lighter than its predecessor.  The new Escape is longer, lower, and wider than the outgoing model. The two ecoboost engines boast a range of 400 miles per tank, while the standard hybrid with FWD aims for a range of 550 miles. 
      Inside, Ford engineers optimized space to increase headroom and cargo capacity.  With the second row in the fully forward position, the rear cargo area can accommodate 4 golf bags or a full size dog crate. 
      On the safety front, the Escape comes with Ford Co-Pilot 360 standard.  Other technologies like Adaptive Cruise and Lane-Centering are available.  Passengers are entertained via an 8-inch touch screen standard on SE and above. The gauge cluster is a 12.3 inch all digital system that uses 3D animated graphic to indicate drive mode. 
      The 2020 Ford Escape will reach dealers in the fall with the Plug-in Hybrid variant due in Spring 2020. 
      We will have more of the 2020 Ford Escape from the New York Auto Show on April 17th.

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Ford unveiled the completely redesigned 2020 Ford Escape today ahead of its official showing at the New York Auto Show in two weeks.  Some of the biggest news about the Escape comes under the hood where 4 new powertrains debut. 
      The standard engine will be a 1.5 liter Ecoboost 3-cylinder that can run as a 2 cylinder during light load situations.  The engine is projected to produce 180 horsepower and 177 lb-ft of torque when fueled with premium gas. This is the first Ford engine with cylinder deactivation. The engine will be standard issue on S, SE, and SEL level trims. When properly equipped, the 1.5T will tow up to 2,000 lbs. 
      For those wanting more power, the Titanium trim will have a 250 horsepower, 275 lb-ft Ecoboost displacing 2.0 liters and coming standard with AWD. When running 93 octane, Ford says it will propel the Escape to 60 10% faster than the outgoing model. Towing for the 2.0T is maximum rated at 3,500 lbs. Both Ecoboost engines send power to the wheels via an 8-speed automatic.
      For the Eco-minded the hybrid returns to the Escape lineup after a 7 year absence, also joined by a plug-in variant.  The Plug-in uses an all new 2.5 liter 4-cylinder Atkinson cycle hybrid engine paired with a CVT.  The combined output of the hybrid is rated at 198 horsepower and is capable of 85 mph in electric only mode. The hybrid will be available only on the SE Sport and Titanium trim.
      The Plug-in hybrid will be available on SE, SEL, and Titanium trims. It will have an electric only range of 30 miles. Level 1 and Level 2 charging are available. Level 1 110 volt outlet takes 10 to 11 hours for a full charge from empty, switching to level 2 cuts that time to about 3.5 hours. Total system power increases over the standard hybrid to 209 horsepower, but will not be available with All-wheel drive. 
      Both hybrid models feature 4 EV modes that allow the driver to adjust drive settings to the most suitable for conditions and needs.
      Auto EV mode - the vehicle decides whether to run on gasoline or electric power. EV Now Mode - the vehicle operates on all-electric drive. EV Later Mode - the vehicle operates on gasoline power to conserve electric miles for later EV Charge Mode - the vehicle operates on gasoline and recharges the battery for later EV only mode. Helping on the efficiency front, Ford designers made the most aerodynamic Escape ever.  They made a more sloped roofline and strake, an efficient underbody, and an optimized liftgate spoiler. Overall, the 2020 Escape is 200lbs lighter than its predecessor.  The new Escape is longer, lower, and wider than the outgoing model. The two ecoboost engines boast a range of 400 miles per tank, while the standard hybrid with FWD aims for a range of 550 miles. 
      Inside, Ford engineers optimized space to increase headroom and cargo capacity.  With the second row in the fully forward position, the rear cargo area can accommodate 4 golf bags or a full size dog crate. 
      On the safety front, the Escape comes with Ford Co-Pilot 360 standard.  Other technologies like Adaptive Cruise and Lane-Centering are available.  Passengers are entertained via an 8-inch touch screen standard on SE and above. The gauge cluster is a 12.3 inch all digital system that uses 3D animated graphic to indicate drive mode. 
      The 2020 Ford Escape will reach dealers in the fall with the Plug-in Hybrid variant due in Spring 2020. 
      We will have more of the 2020 Ford Escape from the New York Auto Show on April 17th.

• By Drew Dowdell
      Jeep unveiled plug-in hybrid versions of its popular Compass and Renegade crossovers at the Geneva International Auto Show today. 
      The Plug-In Hybrid variants are powered by a 1.3 liter turbocharged engine. In base form, the 1.3T makes 177 hp and 200 lb-ft of torque. On the Renegade, power ranges between 190 hp and 240 hp range while the Compass gets 240 hp through the combined effort of the gasoline engine and electric motors. Zero to 62 mph takes around 7 seconds.
      The hybrids use eAWD technology where the rear wheels are not powered by a driveshaft, but instead from a rear mounted electric motor. This allows the front and rear wheels to be operated independently in a more effective way than a fixed mechanical system.  Greater low-speed torque is made available through the electric motors improving response on challenging terrain.
      The size of the battery pack was not released, but the hybrids can travel up to 31 miles or hit a top speed of 81 mph in electric only mode. Naturally, driving 81 mph will shorten the EV range. 
      Both models will feature a special instrument cluster and infotainment screen geared towards monitoring the hybrid system. 
      No word from FCA yet as to when we will see the Compass PHEV and Renegade PHEV in the US. 
      FCA announced a plant expansion in Michigan last week that included plans for Plug-in Hybrid Grand Cherokees, Wagoneers and Grand Wagoneers. 
      FCA Press Release on Page 2

The Jeep® E-volution Showcased in Geneva
      Preview of the new Jeep® Renegade and Jeep Compass with plug-in hybrid electric technology New PHEV technology enhances the Jeep off-road performance taking advantage of the high torque control during take-off The combined action of the two propulsion systems delivers up to 240 hp Both Jeep SUVs feature batteries which can be recharged by the internal combustion engine or by the plug-in charging cable The evolution of the Jeep brand in Europe continues and stays true to its core values of freedom, authenticity, adventure and passion March 5, 2019 , Geneva - The Jeep® brand continues to surprise audiences at this year’s Geneva International Motor Show.

After setting a new global sales record in 2018, the Jeep brand welcomes 2019 as the year of an evolution that remains true to those core values that have been at the heart of the brand for almost 80 years. The Jeep brand has always pioneered new segments and new technologies: its legend started in 1941 with the Willys-Overland, the first 4x4 vehicle, followed in 1946 by the Willys Wagon, which first introduced the concept of the Sport Utility Vehicle. Its legendary reputation for off-road capability has lasted ever since. Comfort, handling and connectivity have been increased over time, in parallel with the all-terrain performance of Jeep SUVs. Today, the Jeep brand is making another major evolutionary step toward respecting the environment and reducing the total cost of ownership by presenting its new plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) models. A no-compromise hybrid solution, which integrates the unmatched technical layout of each Jeep SUV, will power both the Jeep Renegade and Jeep Compass and will turn them into vehicles that provide absolute freedom while taking their capability to the next level through some of the most advanced eco-friendly technology.

New Renegade and Compass PHEV: Power and Range
      In the spotlight at the Jeep stand in Geneva, these new plug-in hybrid models are equipped with batteries that are rechargeable from an external power outlet and, as a consequence, can store more electric energy. This choice allows for the use of more powerful electric motors, which translate into a pure electric range of approximately 50 kilometers and about 130 km/h full electric top speed for both Renegade and Compass.

The electric units work in synergy with the new 1.3-litre turbo petrol engine to increase efficiency and power overall. For the Renegade, the power sits in the 190 and 240 hp range resulting in outstanding on-road performance: 0-100 km/h is reached in approximately 7 seconds. The same figures – although still pending homologation – are achieved by the first plug-in hybrid Compass. Also, on the Compass, the simultaneous action of the internal combustion engine (ICE) and the electric motor delivers up to 240 hp of maximum power.

In addition, the new Jeep SUVs with plug-in hybrid technology are more fun to drive courtesy of improved acceleration and fast engine response. They are also extremely quiet and respectful of the environment with CO2 emissions lower than 50 g/km.

But above all, thanks to electrification, the Jeep range further improves its legendary off-road capability, courtesy of the greater torque offered by the electric motor and the ability to adjust it with extreme precision during take-off and while driving on the most challenging terrain, where a very low transmission ratio is needed.

Thanks to the new electric all-wheel-drive technology (eAWD), traction to the rear axle is not provided by a prop shaft but through a dedicated electric motor. This allows the two axles to be separated and to control the torque independently in a more effective way than a mechanical system.

Renegade and Compass PHEVs feature a dedicated instrument cluster and infotainment screen, updated in order to help the customer with information related to daily hybrid driving.

While being loyal to its mindset of overcoming any limit, the Jeep brand continues to evolve, to develop and to bring its SUVs to the next level in line with its core values of freedom, authenticity and passion. Today the brand is embracing a new challenge and setting new standards. Behind the wheel of Jeep Renegade and Jeep Compass featuring PHEV technology, driving fun becomes efficient and, for the first time, it will be possible to tackle the most extreme off-road trails not only in the utmost safety but also while listening to the sounds of nature.
      View full article
  • My Clubs

• Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook