"I'm literally saying get rid of all subsidies," Musk

SAN FRANCISCO — Tesla CEO Elon Musk said on Monday that the U.S. Congress should not approve the Biden administration's bill to boost subsidies for electric vehicles (EVs), saying the proposal would worsen the country's budget deficit.

The billionaire entrepreneur is escalating criticism about the administration and Democrats for a proposal to give union-made, U.S.-built electric vehicles an additional $4,500 tax incentive. Tesla and foreign automakers do not have unions at their U.S. factories.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Honestly, it might be better if the bill doesn't pass," Musk said at the WSJ CEO Council Summit.

"I'm literally saying get rid of all subsidies," he said, adding that "the government should I think just try to get out of the way and not impede progress."

He also reiterated opposition to a proposal by Democrats to tax billionaires. "It does not make sense to take the job of capital allocation away from people who have demonstrated great skill ... and give it to, you know, an entity that has demonstrated very poor skill in capital allocation, which is the government."

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/12/07/elon-musk-ev-bill-should-not-pass/

I can't say I disagree with him. There are enough established companies with enough vehicles on the road that we do not need to be spending tax dollars subsidizing vehicle purchases.

• Disagree 1

@ccap41 Down Vote is not against you, but what you quoted.

Of course, this narcissistic world's richest person would say this. He begged the Federal gov and California for all kinds of tax breaks, EVs subsidiaries to get his company going. Still doing it now for the tax breaks Texas gave him, China and Germany gave him. Double Standard Asshole.

The fact is he is a lousy greedy CEO that thinks of himself first and as long as he is on top, he wants to stop anyone and everyone else from doing well.

He knows that once GM, Ford and other legacy auto companies get up to speed they can destroy Tesla. My gut also tells me he fears Rivian as Tesla has the WRONG product lineup now as the bulk of society wants Compact to Full-size Trucks / SUVs. 

Not a CUV built on a Car platform that has minimal room inside.

Why not help the average man out with jobs that the feds help pay for in the short run. After all the 1% has taken so much money, paid so little tax's and after the last administration with almost $7 trillion in debt spent one could easily say what is a few billion more.

Rather than spend on defense companies, time to trim the defense budget and re-invest in America infrastructure and the auto industry.

US Debt by President | Chart & Per President Deficit | Self.

image.png

I know there are those that will not agree with me, but IMHO, time to cut off the Pork Fat to Defense and focus on the middle-income men and woman of America.

If he was so lousy and greedy, would he not want a tax credit for his vehicles to sell more? 

8 minutes ago, David said:

Rather than spend on defense companies, time to trim the defense budget and re-invest in America infrastructure and the auto industry.

I do agree with this not not just defense specific, make cuts almost everywhere to NECESSITIES. We need to get our feet under ourselves again, imo. 

9 minutes ago, David said:

Still doing it now for the tax breaks Texas gave him, China and Germany gave him. Double Standard Asshole.

You know this is absolutely the same exact thing every company does. They're all corrupt and hypocritical. 

• Thanks 1