New NHTSA rule mandates Stability Control

U.S. Department of Transportation Secretary Mary E. Peters Announces A Substantial Life-Saving Technology

For All New Passenger Vehicles

In a move that could ultimately save up to 10,000 lives each year on U.S. roadways, the nation's top transportation official today announced plans to make new crash prevention technology standard equipment on every new passenger vehicle sold in America by 2012.

U.S. Transportation Secretary Mary E. Peters and National Highway Traffic Safety Administrator Nicole R. Nason announced the final rule to require the Electronic Stability Control (ESC) on all new passenger vehicles during a tour with auto makers at the New York International Auto Show today. ESC uses automatic computer controlled braking to keep drivers from losing control on slippery roads or in emergency maneuvers, in many cases preventing deadly rollovers from occurring.

“This technology will save thousands of lives. Like airbags and seat belts, ten years down the road we will look back at the new ESC technology and wonder how we ever drove a car without it.” Secretary Peters said.

“ESC technology will put the brakes on crashes and help drivers keep control of their cars in critical situations,” Administer Nason said. “ESC works, it will save lives, and it can give American drivers and passengers the peace of mind that comes from knowing their vehicles have some of the most technologically advanced safety equipment available.”

The final rule will require all manufacturers to begin equipping passenger vehicles with ESC starting with model year 2009, and to have the feature available as standard equipment on all new passenger vehicles by the 2012 model year (September 2011).

The agency estimates ESC will save between 5,300 and 9,600 lives annually and prevent between 168,000 and 238,000 injuries. The estimated average cost of ESC is approximately $111 per vehicle, assuming the model already features ABS brakes.

A copy of the final regulation and the accompanying regulatory analysis can obtained at http://www.safercar.gov/esc/Rule.pdf.

More information on the ESC technology can be found at http://nhtsa.gov/portal/site/nhtsa/menuite...53ab10cba046a0/

Original article:http://www.dot.gov/affairs/dot3707.htm

--

So I guess all GM cars will have Stabilitrak by then.

Edited by ToniCipriani

Unlike airbags and seatbelts, though, this is can encourage drivers to take more risks.

Actually, all safety equipment causes drivers to drive more dangerously. This will merely increase recklessness further.

The lawyers are driving this kind of legislation. More and more, people are suing to blame others for their own mistakes. If the technology is out there and it can be provent that it MAY have saved a life, ultimately the manufacturers can be held accountable.

I don't have a big problem with air bags, seat belt laws, ABS, etc. Even the smartest driver makes mistakes, but the truth is most drivers that I have seen are totally hopeless. I wish they would toughen up the tests to get your license in the first place. We are sharing the roads with a lot of idiots. I mean how many drivers have you seen weaving in traffic while talking on their cell phone? What is with that? I rarely take a call while driving, but when I have, I don't have any problem signalling, looking over my shoulder, merging, etc. while driving and talking. Most drivers cannot. That is the point.

If Stabilitrak keeps some idiot from crossing the line and slamming into me head on because THEY can't drive in freezing rain, them I am all for it.

The lawyers are driving this kind of legislation. More and more, people are suing to blame others for their own mistakes. If the technology is out there and it can be provent that it MAY have saved a life, ultimately the manufacturers can be held accountable.

I don't have a big problem with air bags, seat belt laws, ABS, etc. Even the smartest driver makes mistakes, but the truth is most drivers that I have seen are totally hopeless. I wish they would toughen up the tests to get your license in the first place. We are sharing the roads with a lot of idiots. I mean how many drivers have you seen weaving in traffic while talking on their cell phone? What is with that? I rarely take a call while driving, but when I have, I don't have any problem signalling, looking over my shoulder, merging, etc. while driving and talking. Most drivers cannot. That is the point.

If Stabilitrak keeps some idiot from crossing the line and slamming into me head on because THEY can't drive in freezing rain, them I am all for it.

Car manufacturers have been pushing the NHTSA to do this. ESC is lightweight, relatively cheap and increases safety without requiring expensive new platforms and increased weight. While it can't eliminate accidents (it can't keep your eyes on the road, or brake before you enter a corner), it can reduce them, and will reduce the need for increased rollover protection.

big question....will this lower premiums and will it lower insurance across the board...maybe for the first, prolly no on the second.

edit:

it is a good idea, but why not legislate more alternatives for people that don't NEED and don't WANT to drive.

i wish it wouldn't take legistlation to get things like this to change.

"ten years down the road we will look back at the new ESC technology and wonder how we ever drove a car without it.” Secretary Peters said."

i dislike statements like this.

Edited by loki

Well, Secretary Peters is correct: 20 years ago when seatbelt laws were enacted (and I was a know-it-all kid), I deliberately refused to wear my seatbelts to fly in the face of authority. Now that I am a know-it-all adult (sort of), I wouldn't even think of driving without a seatbelt. Hell, I even leave my belt on for nearly all of the time during a flight.

As I watched a show the other day about how many security cameras there are in London now, I couldn't help but wonder where this will all end. A decade ago, I would have fought news like this as evidence of us slipping into a police state. Now, (9-11 and all), I am not sure. There has been such a degradation in the level of people who genuinely give a $h! out there, not to mention the crazies, that the more Big Brother stuff we have, the better it is for all of us.

Unless they figure out a way to legislate common sense. NOW THAT WOULD BE AN ACHEIVEMENT!