Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

FRANKFURT: Opel Flextreme Concept

Flybrian

This looks a lot like the Chevy rally concept from a few months ago. I guess this will be a clue of the next Gamma car, so Opel Corsa.

I thought that Chevy show car (I assume you're refering to the blue rally car concept) was offering a hint at apossible Lacetti/Nubira/Cobalt(?) replacement.

Is this just a new body shell around the E-Flex platform, or are there some hints of where the next Astra/Zafira will head styling-wise?

I wouldn't read too much into the styling—it's mainly a rush job to demonstrate a diesel version of E-Flex. In as much as it shares rudimentary styling cues with the GTC Concept there is a hint at future Opel/Saturn styling, but no more.

I wouldn't read too much into the styling—it's mainly a rush job to demonstrate a diesel version of E-Flex. In as much as it shares rudimentary styling cues with the GTC Concept there is a hint at future Opel/Saturn styling, but no more.

Thanks for the reply. I wondered because I read it's Astra-sized, and car magazine talk is that the NG Astra will be coming to market 1 or 2 years after the Vectra (or whatever they'll call it).

Well, this concept is too much of an MPV monospace form to presage the Astra, and the Zafira is a larger 7-seater on an extended wheelbase. The Meriva is already in final road tests and looks nothing like this, so the "Astra-sized" thing is a red herring, if it's even true.

Which it is not. It is sized between the Prius and Opel Signum, i.e. a midsize hatch, a very rare beast indeed, even in concept form. The only production models are the aforementioned Prius (lower midsize) and Signum (upper midsize). The closest concept? Toyota's Hybrid-X from earlier this year. Is this a hint I wonder?