June GM Canada sales

General Motors of Canada June Sales

(June 2006 and June 2005 have 26 selling days)

Link to original press release @ GMCanada

Oshawa, Ontario (Tuesday, July 04, 2006) – For June 2006, General Motors of Canada dealers delivered 45,307 vehicles, up 4.6 % over the same month last year. Passenger car sales for the month were strong, up 15% to 24,435 units, and trucks were off by 5.4% to 20,872 units.

Marc Comeau, GM of Canada’s vice-president of sales, service, and marketing said “"Our June results for Canada were driven by continued sales increases for our many new models. We have maintained our strategic focus on high quality new designs and value pricing. Our traditional Canada Wide Clearance began mid-June, providing consumers with even greater value on our remaining '06 models."

Chevrolet cars were up 25%, driven by strong results from the Oshawa-built Impala (up 145%), Cobalt (up 54%) and Malibu (up11%). Pontiac also posted solid gains of 18%, driven by the G6 and Torrent. Saab set another monthly record, up 28%, and Cadillac was up 7% over last year.

Sales Highlights for June 2006

Chevrolet Cobalt continues to gain momentum with another record month, exceeding last year’s combined sales for Cavalier and Cobalt

GMs mid size cars were up a combined 40% over last year. This gain was led by the Chevrolet Impala and Pontiac G6, both more than doubling last year’s June sales results.

GM continues to grow sales in the important small utility segment, where combined sales of the Saturn Vue, Pontiac Torrent, Chevrolet Equinox and Chevrolet HHR was up 68%

GMs new full size sport utilities, including the Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon, with Active Fuel Management technology were up 60% from last year.

The Oshawa-built 1500 series Silverado and Sierra crew cabs were up 23.5% and the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon saw another strong month, up 27%

Sales of GM luxury brands remain strong with Saab setting another monthly record, up 28%, and Cadillac up 7% over last year.

Posted Image

Headquartered in Oshawa, Ontario, General Motors of Canada employs more than 20,000 people nationwide. GM of Canada manufactures a variety of vehicles, engines, transmissions and other components, and markets the full range of General Motors vehicles and related services through 765 dealerships and retailers across Canada. Vehicles sold through this network include Chevrolet, Buick, Pontiac, GMC, Saturn, Hummer, Saab and Cadillac.

the mass public is finally waking up and not buying G5 Pursuits

164858[/snapback]

I'm seeing tons of these things already. As long as it's not stealing sales from G6 I don't see a problem. Sure, it's stealing Cobalt sales, but don't Pontiacs usually carry a slight price premium anyways?

Not that I want to rain on GM's parade, but a year ago we weren't selling ANY Impalas because we knew the new one was coming out. Even with $5,000 in discounts we just didn't want to risk having them around.

Vue/Torrent/Equinox +68%

Tahoe/Yukon +60%

Colorado/Canyon +27%

Silverado/Sierra crew +23.5%

total truck sales -6.7% ???

How did that happen? What's left? The Traiblazer? Yeah, it tanked. I've only sold one this year. The extended cab Silverado has tanked, which is too bad because the GM extended cab actually has a lot of room in the back seat without having to go to the crew. There must be some significant losers in the truck department to drag the entire line down 6.7% against the volume leaders above being up so much!

I'm seeing tons of these things already. As long as it's not stealing sales from G6 I don't see a problem. Sure, it's stealing Cobalt sales, but don't Pontiacs usually carry a slight price premium anyways?

164859[/snapback]

Um... no they don't. At least last time I checked the Pursuit was the same price as the Cobalt.

Which brings us right into the one of the biggest (if not THE biggest) problems with GM and their platform sharing. They used to be damned good at it. Ever see side by side shots of a '59 Electra, Impala, Catalina or 88 - they were the exact same vehicle underneath.

The Pursuit (or whatever the hell it is called now) is EXACTLY the same as a Cobalt. Different rims and different crappy cloth interior, but otherwise the SAME. Ditto for the Uplander/SV6. The Torrent/Equinox - well, different roof rack, wheels but the SAME vehicle.

At least with the G6/Malibu we don't have to worry about the Pontiac dealers - they are significantly different looking and don't compete in the same market. The Impala/Allure (or whatever it is called in the States) are also sufficiently different that they won't impact each other's sales very much.

This rebadging is embarassing. It pisses off the dealers, confuses the customer and benefits no one. Okay, maybe it keeps some dealers out of GM Legal's face, but I don't see an upside.