URGENT - help needed - 3800 V6

Ok, time to change the plug wires. Brought a dirty change of clothes to work and so did a co-worker who is very cool and helps me with minor items.

Have a 3800 V6 in W-body Regal. Got the 3 in the front in about 10 minutes. It cranked over fine, so I did it right. YAHOO!

Started in on the rear firewall plugs. Took of the manifold decorative shroud and the clips for the plug wires.

Good God. There are these heat shields around each plug and he and I tried EVERY plug and we couldn't pull ANY of them.

We tried pulling on the rubber boots and then on the heat shield... NOTHING on any of them. WHAT'S THE DEAL? I mean...my hand clearly reaches every plug. Is there a TRICK to this?

H-E-L-P. Thanks.

Sounds like your saying you cant pull the wires off the plugs. The rubber is just set to the plug. Twist one way and then the other until they let loose. Then they will pull off, somewhat hard but they will come. Grab right ahold of the boot, heatshield and all. Watch your knuckles, finess is always better than brut force.

Sounds like your saying you cant pull the wires off the plugs. The rubber is just set to the plug. Twist one way and then the other until they let loose. Then they will pull off, somewhat hard but they will come. Grab right ahold of the boot, heatshield and all. Watch your knuckles, finess is always better than brut force.

181582[/snapback]

That's what I'm asking.

Grab only the rubber boot inside the heat shield...

...or grab the heat shield from the outside including the rubber boot?

What is the heat shield attached to...if anything?

Thanks.

thats life with a POS

FWD transuniversal uni b

ody car!!!!!!!

Seriously, you can tear up the boot. This is no big deal, just don't drop anything down inside. We had a similar problem trying to the the boot/shielding out while doing the plugs & wires on the Bonneville.

Ive never had to destroy a boot and Ive had some high mileage 38's and I dont believe in changing plugs until I know I have a running problem which will usually rear its head in rainy humid conditions at cold starts. Which means I have usually 40,000 miles on them or more because who knows when previous owner changed them. Just simply twist side to side until the bond between the rubber and the plug pops. No need to get hostile with them and create more work than necessary. Good mechanics have finess, poor mechanics are brutal and do more harm than good.

Same thing occurs with radiator/heater hoses as well as vacumn and low pressure fuel conections. Just like the ladies you got to tease them a bit first...........

I always worry more about plugs not comming out easily and buggering up a thread. Hasnt happened yet but Ive had a few come out hard.

Brought a dirty change of clothes to work and so did a co-worker who is very cool and helps me with minor items.

I want photos.................. :lol:

Fly pokes fun and is being a smart ass but I've never

hear of a person with a RWD with a 3800 complain

about access to plugs. NOS? Where are you?

Hopefully the next time Bob is doing a tune up it will

be on a Zeta Buick and he will report back how much

easier it was. :wink:

BOB.............where are you ? Did you make it to work today.......... :lol:

Sylvestor - what are you even doing on this post ? This is getting very tireing, what the f@#k is the point in sticking your face into every post you can find regarding anything FWD just to start trouble. Is this some form of macho man ism, it sure reaks of it. Id be a bit ashamed myself, carrying on like that when your not even face to face. Is that how you treat people face to face ? If so how is it your still alive ? .............thats what I thought ! Theres this thing called respect, then theres this other thing called immaturity.................its your call. How in hell can you chomp on Satty and Croc or at least the former croc when you carry on even worse ? Time for some introspective I think. Your $h! stinks just as much an anyone elses but lately its started to ferment.....................so whats it gonna be ?