Ford Trivia Light

Shortly before the Mustang debuted, another make's product featured the same model name (albeit only locally) on a performance-built model. This vehicle (quantity built unknown) is terrifically obscure, I'm afraid. Can anyone name it?

Within 1 year of the above mystery vehicle (a clue! for an impossible answer!), FoMoCo bought the rights to the name of a Mustang cousin from yet another company involved in motor vehicles. What was the name in question & what did they manufacture?

wow... I'm stumped.

No guesses anyone?? :(

Here's partial non-revealing copy from one of the local ads for the first vehicle:

>>>Announcing a New Series, The _______ Mustang. "Safety Features to Match Mustang's Unsurpassed Performance." Special Non-Fade Brakes. Aluminum Fin Wheels. Special Mustang Color ((2 omitted due to being blatant clues))<<<

From this same ad was the notice that a free Shetland pony was going to be given away also (get it: Shetland Pony = Musta... nevermind).

Ad copy from the second vehicle:

>>>Advanced engineering, superlative quality and unsurpassed value will have _____ talking about the new 19__ ____ ____.<<<

Both of these respective vehicles originated/were headquartered in major U.S. cities south of the M-D.

None of the above was any help, was it. Edited by balthazar

In the Dallas TX marketplace, Van Winkle Pontiac marketed the 1960 Pontiac Mustang by removing RPO series ID and replacing it with 'Mustang' fender scripts. These cars apparently were equipped with 8-lugs (first RPO year), but some were equipped with standard powertrains (2bbl 389s with optional autos). No idea on the quantity for '60 or if the 'model' was offered for '61.

This one is so obscure that I have only seen 2 brief pieces in the same publication and no other mention anywhere in the last 15 years. I spent over 2 hours looking for the pieces in my library, cause it had popped unbidden into my mind last week.

-- --- -- --- --

In 1959, Ford bought the rights to the name 'Comet' from the Comet Coach Company of Memphis TN, a coachbuilder that manufacturered ambulances & hearses, primarily on Oldsmobile chassis's. CCC subsequently changed their name to Cotner-Bevington, moved their headquarters to Blytheville AK and continued their coachbuilding until circa 1975, still primarily on Oldsmobile chassis's.

Wow, holy cow. I was begining to think it was a Motorcycle or tractor. In the late 1960s there was a CZ motorcycle called Mustang in Slovakia.