Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Saab Reliability?

So I mentioned to a coworker the other day about the Saab 9-3 Sportcombi and he was like "Ewww Saab? Don't think you want to get one of those".

I read the other thread about the theory on poor quality ratings, but what's the real deal here? Have there been that many complaints and reliability issues with Saabs as of late? Especially enough to cause this sort of stigma?

I would like to consider this for a purchase in another 6-12 months, but don't want to regret the purchase shortly thereafter. Which brings up another question...how well do Saabs retain their trade-in value?

I have spoken to many Saab owners over time. They love there cars on a certain level, like how they drive but they do mention quality issues. And here Saabs don't enjoy good trade-in value like other competing makes.

Also, have you sat in the backseat of the 9-3 SportCombi? Depending on your needs, it's a very tight fit back there.

If you do buy a Saab, don't overlook the 9-5 SportCombi....especially in black...very nice looking car. And more room in back seat. Also get the two toned interior with stitching....very sharp.

Posted Image

Thanks HarleyEarl and dcs. Price is a major factor for me so unfortunately the 9-5 is out of the question. I do agree it is a nice vehicle and love the revised design. However I actually like the look of the 9-3 slightly better...mainly because of the way the rear side windows are integrated into the design.

I'm really glad you mentioned the size of the back seat area. This is my major complaint of my current car ('02 Galant GTZ), and one of the most important areas in which I am basing my next car purchase on. I had a feeling it was going to be an issue on this car. I've got until sometime next year before I purchase, so I'll personally go check these out at the next Chicago Auto Show(no salesman hassles), and get a feel for the interior first hand.

I have a 2006 9-3 Aero and I have a some good news and some bad news. Good news, nothing important with the car has gone wrong; engine, trannny, brakes all fine. Bad news, got new foglamps(bad seals), rear suspension squeak almost everytime I get in or out(they lubed it up to no avail; get used to hearing we can't replicate the problem), new door lock(overly complicated puddle lamp system), and finally the pinch protection going off on my drivers window up to 23 times before window will close(dealership reloaded the software twice; i fixed it myself by holding the window down and the button up until the window quit - lost auto function for two days but came back on its own and never had a problem since -- No Thanks to the Dealership! :ohyeah:

Its my dream car, I love it unconditionally no matter what. Drives great, love the two tone sport seats(grey w/ parchment inserts) and the fact that it doesn't have the black tie radio...whatever your feelings about the new dash...just be aware that 9-3's (with the exception of the convertible built in Germany)are very hit or miss.

Edited by AeroMan

Thanks Aeroman.

I'm so torn on considering this car when it comes time to buy. I was really hoping to hear that gremlins such as you described were going to be non-existent. I really do love the styling of the car and my company has an agreement with some local dealers to get discounts.

Did the dealership cover you on all these problems...I would assume it was all under warranty? Still a hassle to deal with the service dept all the time and knowing that noise is there.

By hit or miss I am assuming that you mean it depends on who you talk to? Like there isn't any consistency in the build quality. Some people get lucky and have no problems, while others do?

Everything was covered under warranty and on the plus side I get a free car wash every time I come in...

You should be aware that you might have problems with the build quality and you might not. If you have a good dealership(service center), the total package will far outweigh the minor(to me) problems. I fit comfortably in the back seat and I'm six foot, but check it out for yourself.

Some people have no complaints while others have many, but nothing major in the 06's that I know of. The teething period for the 9-3 is over with help from GM, but there are always some problems with an all new model.

I would go with an aero. The V6 makes a big difference over the 4 cylinder, just make sure you test drive both versions and make sure you can live without memory driver's seat, parking assist and rain sensing wipers (you can buy an auto-dimming mirror as an accessory for about $200). The lumbar support in the sport seats fit me perfectly and really make a difference in "urging you on" during my daily commute. And don't forget the aero academy, lots of free goodies and a never ending 2 day smile. It would cost $1350 by itself, but when you factor it in to the price it makes the aero a somewhat smarter choice considering you basically get the afore-mentioned options for close to nothing.

I hope this helps you with your dilemma. If you do your research, look on the saabnet.com forums and take a good long test drive of the base and aero trims you should be able to make an informed decision of what is best for you.

check out http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80055 for a typical experience at the aero academy. scroll down for pictures. I know that this is far off in the future, but there are cheaper hotels to stay at than the saab backed chateau elan that are just as close to road atlanta. be forewarned that there are usually more people attending a particular class (average about 25, 12 in mine).