Ding on My Hood

z28luvr01

I got through washing and waxing my car this morning to find a ding, slightly smaller than a dime or even a shirt button and not deep at all, on the front of my hood. I've no idea how it got there, but the paint is all there so I doubt it's from road debris. Anyway, it's in a spot on the hood where there's double metal (near the latch/release), so the traditional PDR method of working it out from behind is impossible. Do any of these "glue on suction cup" ding removers (like the Ding King, et. al) actually work, and is it something I can pull off myself without making it worse? Is it even fixable at all without filler and respraying the paint. I'm willing to bring it to a PDR guy if it's possible for it to come out. The last thing I want is for it to look worse than it does now. The average passer-by probably won't notice it, but I do and it looks like an Arrival Blue Metallic Grand Canyon to me.

I'm trying to get some pics, but it's not showing up well at all. Thanks in advance. As you can all probably tell, I'm beside myself right now.

I remember at work we had a guy come in every week or so to fix any dings, and he didn't have to do anything on the underside of the metal to pop dings out. I don't remember him doing anything on a hood of a vehicle, but that doesn't mean he didn't or couldn't. There was a ding on the crease that runs down the side of an STS, and he popped it out and it looked brand new. I do remember, however, that he was unsuccessful in getting a ding out of the rear quarter of the GTO we had at work, so it doesn't always work, but that's the only one I recall that didn't come out.

I think my sister talked to someone about popping a couple dings out of the Alero and they said it'd be $50/ding.

The ding king does work, but if you can get your hands on some dry ice, and run that around the ding, then let the car sit out in the sun, normally it'll pop the ding out. I had some hail damage to my car over the summer and actually the sun popped a lot of the larger dents and dings out with time and baking in the sun.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think trying PDR would hurt. I have friends who work in insurance and I've seen first hand some amazing PDR work (even saw my friend's car get done!). It's worth a shot, sorry that happened!

Dent Wizard....

or wait for a dumbass/b!tch in a Toyota to smack into you

and crumple your hood so they pay for it... works for Fly.