Stalling Problems

For some time now the Shadow has had some stalling issues. Usually this would happen when the car was cold, and almost always on cool/colder days. In the winter it was a bitch until the car warmed up. It would stall either when coming to a stop and almost being stopped, or when just starting to accelerate. Since I got back from Kansas I have discovered that it stalls when going in revers. Not always, but sometimes it will either want to stalls, and the tack swings wildly between 0 and 1200 RPM...sometimes it stalls, sometimes it doesn't, but it sounds like it.

I think it might be the throttle body, but I'm not sure. It's a fuel-injected 2.5 4-cylinder. Any thoughts? It'd be much appriciated!

some times my engine does that the trans i guess has too much of a load and will stall the engine or going into reverse it will shut off. But check sensors or if the throttle body is gummed up.

some times my engine does that the trans i guess has too much of a load and will stall the engine or going into reverse it will shut off.  But check sensors or if the throttle body is gummed up.

199428[/snapback]

Which sensors may I ask? And I'll check the throttle body when it's not raining, thanks!

Trade it.

199505[/snapback]

Ya, OK. And get what...a 100 bucks? That's lame advice.

Move to Ontario: you'll get $1,000 toward the purchase of a new GM product through the "Car Heaven" program. Serioiusly. Why are you trying to revive a 20 year old car that is never going to be a Classic? I drove one for four years, remember? When it was new, and they were no great shakes. YOu could probably buy a better car in your area for $500. I know how emotional attachments can be, but at some point you are just beating a dead horse. If it was a '87 Riviera or LeBaron convertible - okay, rescusitate away! Just yanking your chain. LOL

check stufff like O2 sensors, crank, sensors, cam sensors, Mass Flow sensors. thats the stuff that always is over looked and can cause probmlems. I dont know which sensors your car has so you might have to look on the internet. Also check things like your PCV valve. There pretty cheap parts too.

Move to Ontario: you'll get $1,000 toward the purchase of a new GM product through the "Car Heaven" program.

Serioiusly.  Why are you trying to revive a 20 year old car that is never going to be a Classic?  I drove one for four years, remember?  When it was new, and they were no great shakes.  YOu could probably buy a  better car in your area for $500.  I know how emotional attachments can be, but at some point you are just beating a dead horse.  If it was a '87 Riviera or LeBaron convertible - okay, rescusitate away!

Just yanking your chain.  LOL

199816[/snapback]

Alright, I have a repair manual for the car so I can check which sensors it has. My dad suspects the throttle body may be the kulprit.

check stufff like O2 sensors, crank, sensors, cam sensors, Mass Flow sensors.  thats the stuff that always is over looked and can cause probmlems. I dont know which sensors your car has so you might have to look on the internet. Also check things like your PCV valve. There pretty cheap parts too.

199834[/snapback]

I have the following reasons for not junking it: 1.) I have little money, it's a pain in the ass trying to find a job for some reason. Even McDonald's isn't hiring atm. <_< Until I get a job I have little choice but to drive it (or the Prizm). 2.) Lawrence has the highest insurance rates in the entire state, it costs enough just to insure this...amagine the cost of a newer car. 3.) Why? So the throttle body may need work. It still drives fine and runs fine most of the time. Every older car is gonna need work at some point. Even newer ones do (like say that Prizm). 4.) It's been a very good car for my family and me. It's never left me stranded anywhere (can't say the same for the Prizm), and it's been pretty reliable, it's proven durable (no repairs needed after it was hit).

Yeah sure, I wanna save up for a new car, maybe a first-gen Stratus (or ideally, a Charger, Magnum, Challenger, or Avenger), but for now I'm content with it. And plus, after all it's 17 years and 209k miles of faithful service/abuse...it deserves a little TLC.

Move to Ontario: you'll get $1,000 toward the purchase of a new GM product through the "Car Heaven" program.

Serioiusly.  Why are you trying to revive a 20 year old car that is never going to be a Classic?  I drove one for four years, remember?  When it was new, and they were no great shakes.  YOu could probably buy a  better car in your area for $500.  I know how emotional attachments can be, but at some point you are just beating a dead horse.  If it was a '87 Riviera or LeBaron convertible - okay, rescusitate away!

Just yanking your chain.  LOL

199816[/snapback]

Alright, I have a repair manual for the car so I can check which sensors it has. My dad suspects the throttle body may be the kulprit.

check stufff like O2 sensors, crank, sensors, cam sensors, Mass Flow sensors.  thats the stuff that always is over looked and can cause probmlems. I dont know which sensors your car has so you might have to look on the internet. Also check things like your PCV valve. There pretty cheap parts too.

199834[/snapback]

I have the following reasons for not junking it: 1.) I have little money, it's a pain in the ass trying to find a job for some reason. Even McDonald's isn't hiring atm. <_< Until I get a job I have little choice but to drive it (or the Prizm). 2.) Lawrence has the highest insurance rates in the entire state, it costs enough just to insure this...amagine the cost of a newer car. 3.) Why? So the throttle body may need work. It still drives fine and runs fine most of the time. Every older car is gonna need work at some point. Even newer ones do (like say that Prizm). 4.) It's been a very good car for my family and me. It's never left me stranded anywhere (can't say the same for the Prizm), and it's been pretty reliable, it's proven durable (no repairs needed after it was hit).

Yeah sure, I wanna save up for a new car, maybe a first-gen Stratus (or ideally, a Charger, Magnum, Challenger, or Avenger), but for now I'm content with it. And plus, after all it's 17 years and 209k miles of faithful service/abuse...it deserves a little TLC.

Best recommendation I can think of is start simple. The car should have an idle air control valve, located just aft of the throttle body. Nine times out of ten, the EGR valve dumps back into the intake air stream just in front of this valve. From there any carbon that is in the EGR stream gets sucked through the idle air control valve (IAC). If that gets stuck then the engine could possibly not get enough air through the throttle body at lower RPMs to keep running. And more times than not, you can always yank the IAC off and clean it out with a good carb cleaner.