Dan Neil Reviews the Vue Green Line

bobo

Dan Neil doesn't like it. At all. Excerpts:

As much as I hate to diss any hybrid, this seems a pretty desultory effort. GM says its mild-hybrid system is cheaper and simpler than other hybrids. Well, we'll see about cheaper, but it is simpler, in the same way "Alfie" played on a comb is simpler than the "1812 Overture."

What I can't believe, can't forgive, is how astoundingly cheap some parts of the car feel. The gearshift is loose and wobbly, the doors shudder when they are closed. It feels like the interior was snapped off from a plastic tree à la Revell model. My God, did everybody in vehicle validation wear mukluks?

The unibody chassis felt stiff and stout; this quality, unfortunately, only served to highlight the loud and poorly damped suspension, which rattled and boomed when it encountered ordinary road roughs. And when I hit the raised seam of asphalt at the end of my block, the entire vehicle shook like God's own beagle had me by the scruff.

linky

what a whiner.  Is this another reviewer that's been driving too many $50k vehicles?  The Vue, while not perfect, is nowhere near as bad as he's making it out to be.

209005[/snapback]

Good point.

From now on, every autmotive journalist should only be allowed to test drive cars within a certain price range. Have all the newbies drive $10-$20k vehicles, and later get promoted to $20-$30k, and so on.

It'll never happen, but I bet it would reduce the snob factor...

Actually, that is an excellent point. I've thought that, too. Let's face it: when you climb out of your brand new $60k BMW, how are you going to rate a car that is a third the price?

With the Escape Hybrid's $2600 tax credit and $1000 rebate, there's really no reason to buy the "affordable" hybrid. The FEH can be driven on electrici motor alone, which is a huge plus in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

FEH MSRP: $26,320 - $2600 - $1000 = $22,720

VUE GL MSRP: $22,995 - $650 = $22,345

FEH MPG: 36/31

VUE GL MPG: 27/32

When you factor in better performance, available AWD, and better build quality, it's a no brainer.

GM's BAS system makes more sense in cheaper and newer vehicles like the HHR. Isn't a new VUE debuting in two months?

Edited by empowah

With the Escape Hybrid's $2600 tax credit and $1000 rebate, there's really no reason to buy the "affordable" hybrid. The FEH can be driven on electrici motor alone, which is a huge plus in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

FEH MSRP: $26,320 - $2600 - $1000 = $22,720

VUE GL MSRP: $22,995 - $650 = $22,345

FEH MPG: 36/31

VUE GL MPG: 27/32

When you factor in better performance, available AWD, and better build quality, it's a no brainer.

GM's BAS system makes more sense in cheaper and newer vehicles like the HHR. Isn't a new VUE debuting in two months?

209176[/snapback]

unless the extra torque and hp from the engine alone is better for your purposes ( light towing?)... the FEH's engine is a weakling compared to the 2.4 in the vue

unless the extra torque and hp from the engine alone is better for your purposes ( light towing?)...  the FEH's engine is a weakling compared to the 2.4 in the vue

209242[/snapback]

But it has a much, much more powerful electric motor. The FEH beats the VUE GL in 0-60, passing, braking, etc.

all hybrids are a joke. the people who buy them dont give a hairy rats ass about anything else other than the fact that they think they

are better than everyone else.

the prius? yeah, its different looking. ugly if you ask me. i almost threw up looking at one. granted i was already feeling queasy when it lurched passed me but i had to hold it down....its underwhelming in the sense that a bicycle offers more thrills and it couldnt even pull a wet stick out of a dogs ass if it had to.

but hybrid buyers are special. they like to think that they are doing something good for the earth. rattles? squeaks? inexcusably long 0-60 and 1/4 mile times

mussing up the rest of the flow of traffic.

pish posh.

aside from major modes of public transportion there really is no measurable benefit from hybrids. its no wonder gm didnt want to full endorse this course of

action. but the market demands that they do so. so here it is. but its still not good enough.

anyone considering a hybrid wont be turned off because what this guy is saying.