Hey, maybe Detroit actually did beat St. Louis!

CSpec

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15475741/

Report finds St. Louis most dangerous U.S. city

Research group: Violent crime grew by 20 percent; Detroit at No. 2

ST. LOUIS - Just days after the St. Louis Cardinals won the top honor in Major League Baseball, their hometown jumped to first place on a list no one wants to lead: the most dangerous cities in the United States.

This Midwestern city has long been in the upper tiers of the annual ranking of the nation’s safest and most dangerous cities, compiled by Morgan Quitno Press. Violent crime surged nearly 20 percent there this year, when the rate of such crimes rose much faster in the Midwest than in the rest of nation, according to FBI figures released in June.

The ranking, being released Monday, came as the city was still celebrating Friday’s World Series victory at the new Busch Stadium. St. Louis has been spending millions of dollars on urban renewal even as the crime rate climbs.

Mayor Francis Slay did not return calls seeking comment Sunday.

Scott Morgan, president of Morgan Quitno Press, a private research and publishing company specializing in state and city reference books, said he was not surprised to see St. Louis top the list, since it has been among the 10 most dangerous cities for years.

Morgan said the study looks at crime only within St. Louis city limits, with a population of about 330,000. It doesn’t take into account the suburbs in St. Louis County, which has roughly 980,000 residents.

The safest city in 2005 was Brick, N.J., population about 78,000, followed by Amherst, N.Y., and Mission Viejo, Calif. The second most dangerous city was Detroit, followed by Flint, Mich., and Compton, Calif.

The national FBI figures released in June showed the murder rate in St. Louis jumped 16 percent in 2005, compared with 4.8 percent nationally. The overall violent crime rate increased nearly 20 percent, compared with 2.5 percent nationally.

Midwest's rise outpaces nation

While crime increased in all regions last year, the 5.7 percent rise in the 12 Midwestern states was at least three times higher than any other region, according to the FBI.

Visiting St. Louis on Thursday, FBI director Robert Mueller said it was too early to tell why some types of crime were rising faster in the Midwest.

Mueller said the FBI is working harder to form partnerships with police departments to launch programs like St. Louis’ Safe Streets task force, which focuses police efforts on problematic neighborhoods.

This year’s ranking was good news for Camden, N.J., which in 2005 was named the most dangerous city for the second year in a row.

Camden Mayor Gwendolyn Faison said Sunday she was thrilled to learn that her city no longer topped the most-dangerous list.

“You made my day!” said Faison, who has served since 2000. “There’s a new hope and a new spirit.”

OK....interesting addendum to the article......

(NO ONE "Shoot the Messenger" here.....I don't myself have any issue with blacks....)

In 13 of the 15 most-dangerous cities, the #1, percent-highest concentration of ethnicity is "african-american."

The remaining 2, Compton and Youngstown, african-americans were the #2 percent-highest with Hispanics being #1 in Compton, and white-caucasians #1 in Youngstown.

Here's the list........

City - population percentage african-american - ranking among ethnicities

St. Louis - 51.2% african american - #1 largest ethnicity in the city

Detroit - 81.6% - #1

Flint - 53.3% - #1

Compton - 40.3% - #2

Camden - 53.3% - #1

Birmingham - 73.5% - #1

Cleveland - 51.0% - #1

Oakland - 35.7% - #1

Youngstown - 43.8% - #2

Gary - 84.0% - #1

Richmond, CA. - 36.1% - #1

Baltimore - 64.3% - #1

Memphis - 61.4% - #1

Trenton - 52.1% - #1

Richmond, VA. - 57.2% - #1

This may be somewhat of a sensitive issue....so I certainly am not out to offend anyone....but I do think it makes for an interesting conversation topic.

Could "white flight" like what was seen in Detroit 50 years ago be a contributor to this....and to the enhanced crime rates found in these 15 cities?

you racist son of a bitch. you know what, theres only one thing i hate more than a racist...and im not going to finish that sentence because i will offend everyone.

im just kidding, but theres a really complex answer there if anyone even knows the whole truth. id say its borderline coincidence and circumstance, but youd have to look at where high crime has been there historically and check your numbers. then check it against the prevailing poverty rates, unemployment...etc.

its not something id bring up at a dinner party or as a matter of conversation, how blacks are the in the highest percentage of population in cities with the most violent crime...not the ice breaker youre looking for. wouldnt know exactly where youd be headed with that one.

and besides all that, before you go trying to connect the dots check out other large cities with large black populations and see where they fall in the crime category. good observation otherwise, and remember to roll em up and lock em.

Edited by Mr.Krinkle

OK....interesting addendum to the article......

(NO ONE "Shoot the Messenger" here.....I don't myself have any issue with blacks....)

In 13 of the 15 most-dangerous cities, the #1, percent-highest concentration of ethnicity is "african-american."

The remaining 2, Compton and Youngstown, african-americans were the #2 percent-highest with Hispanics being #1 in Compton, and white-caucasians #1 in Youngstown.

Here's the list........

City    - population percentage african-american    - ranking among ethnicities

St. Louis             - 51.2% african american     - #1 largest ethnicity in the city

Detroit                - 81.6%     - #1

Flint                    - 53.3%     - #1

Compton             - 40.3%     - #2

Camden              - 53.3%     - #1

Birmingham         - 73.5%     - #1

Cleveland            - 51.0%     - #1

Oakland              - 35.7%     - #1

Youngstown        - 43.8%     - #2

Gary                   - 84.0%     - #1

Richmond, CA.     - 36.1%     - #1

Baltimore             - 64.3%     - #1

Memphis              - 61.4%     - #1

Trenton               - 52.1%     - #1

Richmond, VA.     - 57.2%     - #1

This may be somewhat of a sensitive issue....so I certainly am not out to offend anyone....but I do think it makes for an interesting conversation topic.

Could "white flight" like what was seen in Detroit 50 years ago be a contributor to this....and to the enhanced crime rates found in these 15 cities?

211261[/snapback]

Even more amazing are the explanations you would receive from Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton et al.

Edit: spelling.

Edited by sciguy_0504

you racist son of a bitch.  you know what, theres only one  thing i hate more than a racist...and im not going to finish that sentence because i will offend everyone.

im just kidding, but theres a really complex answer there if anyone even knows the whole truth.  id say its borderline coincidence and circumstance,  but youd have to look at where high crime has been there historically and check your numbers.  then check it against the prevailing poverty rates, unemployment...etc.

its not something id bring up at a dinner party or as a matter of conversation,  how blacks are the in the highest percentage of population in cities with the most violent crime...not the ice breaker youre looking for.  wouldnt know exactly where youd be headed with that one.

and besides all that,  before you go trying to connect the dots check out other large cities with large black populations and see where they fall in the crime category.    good observation otherwise, and remember to roll em up and lock em.

211366[/snapback]

Yeah it's a delicate conversation.....but I guess that's what The Lounge has always been good for.....conversations that might be a little on the dicey side....

What also got me to thinking about this......is that I was surprised some crappy areas in SoCal like Santa Ana and Anaheim were'nt included in the "most dangerous" lists.....then I realized that Santa Ana is like 85% hispanic and Anaheim has a very high hispanic population as well.

Although both cities have pockets of very nice areas, the majority of them are run-down and down-trodden.....BUT crime hasn't shot up like you might think.

Then a friend of mine, that is hispanic, told me that although the hispanics in these two cities might not have much money, and their proximity to the poverty level might be high, for the most part, the hispanic culture is VERY family-oriented....and very "let's take care of ourselves and our neighborhoods" thinking.......thus keeping the possibility of high crime, at least from a culture standpoint, alot less likely......