Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Can blank keys be made by GM to look new????

I wanted to know if a blank key or set of keys could be made by GM to look like stock Chevrolet keys? I want to trick my grandpa when he opens up his present into thinking he got a new Impala. My whole family is in on it if we can do it and we will tell him we leased it for him. It is cruel, I know, but he loves practical jokes. Can this be done?????

Guest YellowJacket894

Go to a Chevy dealership and buy one car key. Specify that you just need a blank and tell them the year of Impala you want.

If it's pre-2006, I actually have one I can give you.

Guest YellowJacket894

I don't need that key. We traded our Impala off back in October, and since I forgot to hand in my copy of the key, I got to keep it. It's yours if you want it, regardless. It's not doing me any good.

I don't need that key. We traded our Impala off back in October, and since I forgot to hand in my copy of the key, I got to keep it. It's yours if you want it, regardless. It's not doing me any good.

231329[/snapback]

Unless you can hunt down your old car. If you can, you'll be able to make a few bucks off of chopping it up.

Guest YellowJacket894

Sure if you are absolutely willing to part with it lol. It wouldn't get here by Christmas but I could use it for his birthday in January.

Well, PM me your address then. :D

The dealerships are pretty strict about making new keys for people. You generally have to have an existing set and only then will they grind you a copy. Those little boxes that hang off of cars windows at dealerships have keys in them though. A few minutes and a sawz-all can get you a set pretty quickly. 8)

231316[/snapback]

Since these do not have to match an actual vehicle it should not be a problem.