Whirlwind in Wolfsburg

Courtesy of Motor Trend -Mike Connor.

(The) Latest rumours converning Ferdinand Piech, Porsche, and Volkswagen Group is that Porsche is trying to separate Audi AG from VW, so it can buy the Audi unit outright. Insiders also say VW board meetings have become much more rambunctious now that Porsche boss Wendelin Wiedeking is a regular visitor to Wolfsburg. Wiedeking has been vocal in his criticism of loss-making Bugatti (the Veyron will reportedly struggle to reach its sales target of 300 vehicles) and wants to turn it into a coachbuilding company making just 20 to 30 handbuilt vehicles a year.

For a more complete, interesting, and hopelessly confusing view of Volkswagen AG (including VW, Audi AG, SEAT, etc), Porsche, Piech, Wiedeking, and former Audi boss Martin Winterkorn (now to lead Volkswagen) view Motor Trend's Power List 2007. No wonder Volkswagen's problems are so complicated.

I suppose so, but there must be something going on within the company.

It is best to see how it pans out, but might as well stay updated for possibilities so that there are no surprises.

I suppose so, but there must be something going on within the company.

It is best to see how it pans out, but might as well stay updated for possibilities so that there are no surprises.

Well, what's happening is that Porsche apparently wants to take control the company away from one of the German states (Lower Saxony?). One rumour is that Porsche wants Audi.

Well, what's happening is that Porsche apparently wants to take control the company away from one of the German states (Lower Saxony?). One rumour is that Porsche wants Audi.

I think I mentioned something like that in Porsche's Power play, or something like that. But why would Porsche want Audi over VW? Volkswagen and Porsche actually have common ties, and it was Audi (Auto Union) that yanked VW from the past and into the present with watercooled engines because VW kept trying to develop an air-cooled Beetle replacement, and nothing was working. Then they bought Auto Union somehow and along came the Golf. I know that's very simplified, but I believe that's the gist of the story.

I think I mentioned something like that in Porsche's Power play, or something like that. But why would Porsche want Audi over VW? Volkswagen and Porsche actually have common ties, and it was Audi (Auto Union) that yanked VW from the past and into the present with watercooled engines because VW kept trying to develop an air-cooled Beetle replacement, and nothing was working. Then they bought Auto Union somehow and along came the Golf. I know that's very simplified, but I believe that's the gist of the story.

Audi could be a more natural extension of Porsche than VW: upscale but not as much as Porsche. I have my doubts Porsche wants to break the VW group, though. I think they see their stake in VW as a value-creating investment. The only major thing I see happening with the VW Group brands is Seat: totally unfocused brand. Edited by ZL-1