Can a 2002 or newer Ecotec 2.2L be put into a pre-Ecotec Cav/Sunfire????

Can a 2.2L Ecotec easily be put into a 1999 Sunfire that only has the 2.2L? I want to know because I heard that the 2.2L are pretty shotty but the Ecotecs were significantly better. Could this be done without switching out the tranny? The engine in it is fine but once it starts getting into the higher mileage in the future. Also what else would need to be changed? Also, can G5/Cobalt rims be put on a 99 Sunfire and are they the same bolt pattern. They both have the 5 wheel nuts but I don't like the look of the wheel covers.

Also, would a G5 Pursuit radio be able to be installed into a 99 Sunfire and maybe even the 07 steering wheel? Reason is, if I buy this car, it doesn't have a CD player and I want to keep the stock look. Also, I love the 07 Pontiac steering wheel but I doubt this could be done. There is a junkyard that has an 07 G5 that could supply these parts except for the rims.

Revolution. the DOHC 2.2L Ecotec engines in the newer vehicles could probably fit, the engine itself isn't much bigger than the 2.2L OHV engine that is in your Sunfire. I don't know where you heard that the original 2.2 was shoddy, but the information is wrong. They're pretty good engines, a little underpowered maybe, but very reliable. The radio thing, I honestly dunno on that one.

Yes, the Eco will fit. It has been done already....

And I agree with 76 on the 2.2..

They may be underpowered (115hp), but they will last a long time...it's common for them to make it to 200k without any major issues...

The 99's liked to eat water pumps, but that's pretty much it...

Yes, G5 rims/tires will fit.

Yes, steering wheel will fit...but there is way too much work involved..I wouldn't...

As far as the radio-no. It has theftlock, and you need to code-also won't fit....

Better off with a nice aftermarket one...

Ok thanks. What would have to be done to put the new steering wheel in? I will probably do a couple interior mods once I get it. Brushed aluminum dash trim, new radio, a new steering wheel would be nice and maybe a new background thing for the gauges. As for the outside, get rid of the wheel covers if I can and maybe put mesh grille inserts.

to change the steering wheel:

Disconnect the negative battery cable

Remove all the underdash covers to gain access to the Air Bag power connectors, disconnect them.

Remove the airbag fuse

Remove the clamshell around the steering column

Remove the airbag from the existing steering wheel

Carry the airbag module (facing away from you for safetey's sake) and place somewhere where it won't get hurt

Disconnect all associated wiring coming up and through the existing steering wheel (horn, etc)

Get a steering wheel puller and pull the old wheel off

Installation is the reverse of removal

Or at least that's the long and short of it.

Ok thanks. What would have to be done to put the new steering wheel in? I will probably do a couple interior mods once I get it. Brushed aluminum dash trim, new radio, a new steering wheel would be nice and maybe a new background thing for the gauges. As for the outside, get rid of the wheel covers if I can and maybe put mesh grille inserts.

If you get the Sunfire, you might want to check out jbody.org.

I've been a long time member of the site.

It gives you a lot of info, and you can find some pretty cool parts on there...

You'd be surprised what they make for the 'Fire.... :thumbsup:

Any more Qs, just let me know.