Haggling for new cars

The last car (and my only new car) I bought is my 1992 Regal. I still have it, as most of you know (** as you scream Cheapskate! **) The MSRP sticker was $ 18,736 and I got it for $ 16,900 without even saying a word. I went in there with a typed list of all the codes and MSRPs...I guess they don't see that often. So, on 5-16-92, right after getting back to Portland from Champaign IL (bleh!), I took delivery of the car.

Now, the MSRPs on the sleds I am currently looking at are in the $ 23,500 to $ 24,500 range. Some have incentives of $ 1,000 or $ 1,500, for example. In your mind, that means that you should be able to get the initial deal (the dealer's "issue" - what they sell to you versus their invoice) and then get this "other" money (because it's from GM). Is that right?

Then, that leads me to wonder if they will try to crimp on their deal because that GM incentive exists. And, on top of that, you don't want to let on that you have GM Card money until the very very end.

OK, how about this calculation?

GM W-body (duh) car MSRP $ 24,500

Less:

Discount negotiated with dealer 2,000

GM Incentive cash 1,000

Equals:

Selling price $ 21,500*

Less:

GM Card redemption 2,000

Equals:

Final price $ 19,500

Plus

*Tax and license probably based on this number

Does this look reasonable?

I'd luv to help you, but things are mighty different down in America. There are incentives that come and go, to be sure. The Visa money has nothing to do with the dealer, so don't be afraid to disclose that. It amazes me when people hide their true intentions and don't give the salesperson the information they need to actually help the customer. Getting 8 % off a $25k vehicle seems high to me, but that is perhaps only up here in the tundra. Don't automatically assume the salesperson is out to soak you.

And don't sweat it, worrying that you may have saved $100 some where else.

They say salespeople make the worst shoppers, but when I made the decision to buy Hitachi with my TV purchase a few months ago, I compared sale prices in flyers, etc., then went to a local place that was convenient, talked to them, they gave me $300 off the advertised price of $2,799 and I bought it. Yeah, I "could" have beaten him down for free this and free that, but I was getting a good price, he was knowledgeable and friendly, so he got the deal.

And I avoid electronics sales flyers like the plague because I don't want to see the same TV on sale for $1,999 now.

Before even considering the rebates and GM Card discount, you should be able to negotiate a price at or slightly below invoice. The dealer will be getting some additional holdback that equals a few hundred dollars. Your tax and license will be based upon this negotiated price, and then the rebate and GM Card earnings are subtracted. In other words, you are paying tax and license on the rebated amount.

Getting 8 % off a $25k vehicle seems high to me, but that is perhaps only up here in the tundra. Don't automatically assume the salesperson is out to soak you.

And don't sweat it, worrying that you may have saved $100 some where else.

T.O. = the tundra? :lol: I don't assume that, especially with my last purchase...$ 16.9 K on an $ 18.7 K car...without even muttering a word? (I know that margins have tightened since 1992). I guess it's because I went in there knowing what I wanted and was very knowledgeable, so he wasn't going to do "a dance" with me. That dealer, in general, is a very nice place to do business. Their waiting lounge is peppered with letters from customers saying how much they like the outfit. Incidentally, that particular salesperson is now a homebuilder in the scenic parts of Central Oregon.

For a $ 100 or $ 200 either way, on a car that I would keep a while, I'm not too concerned. Most importantly, I want to give my money to a salesperson that is polite, informed and helps me consummate a purchase. It's real easy to tell early on if you have the right salesperson helping you.

The dealer will be getting some additional holdback that equals a few hundred dollars. Your tax and license will be based upon this negotiated price, and then the rebate and GM Card earnings are subtracted. In other words, you are paying tax and license on the rebated amount.

Right. I know about the holdback but if I get a decent deal, I can live without $ 150 in my pocket...or the equivalent of 4 tanks of gas.

Thus, based on your analysis, I would be paying tax and license on $ 22,500 (per above) and both the bonus cash and the GM card would be deducts/credits from that.

I guess I was trying to ascertain that the discount from negotiating and the GM cash allowance (of the day, or week, or month) come from 2 different pockets, so they are mutually exclusive to making the deal. It sounds like they are.

really new cars are pretty cheap I think. Even though in 91 My Other Caprice stickered at 21k i basically stole it for 9.8k. I was looking at Monte Carlos the other day and i think they are very reasonable.

I was looking at Monte Carlos the other day and i think they are very reasonable.

Yeah, you wouldn't believe how many 2006 new Monte Carlos are sitting on lots around where I live...quite a few more than, say, 2006 LaCrosses and Grand Prixs. It will take some incentive action to move them, though.

2006 GXP | 4000mi | $22,450

Posted Image

2007 GT s/c | 4600mi | $17,950

Posted Image

2007 GT s/c | 6110mi | $17,980

Posted Image

All have leather, sunroof, full power, etc.

There is no better deal for a brand-new car. Seriously. You can't begin to get a 4cyl fabric-bedecked Camry for that much.

White with black interior seems to be most flattering for the GP...and I like what you said, Flybry: "f@#k you, I'm the Grand Prix." Every time I see one, I think of that kick-ass comment. :lol:

White with black interior seems to be most flattering for the GP...and I like what you said, Flybry: "f@#k you, I'm the Grand Prix." Every time I see one, I think of that kick-ass comment. :lol:

If you make one, I'll make you up a custom metallic badge so your car will say...

Posted Image

:P