Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

I have a couple of questions as I have gained insight on how to put a V8 in a Fiero without having to cut the frame. First off, the engine is a 4.9L Cadillac V8 from an 88-94 Cadillac FWD. How relaible are these engines? Also were they considered Northstar or was that the 4.5L? Something I can't quite remember is if the Fiero 2M4 is unibody or is it body on frame? I will be getting the Fiero from the junkyard if this works out. I want to know because they will be quite rusty and the panels and underbody will need to be done. The 4.9L is from an 89 Deville that I am looking at. It is about $900 at a local dealer but they would take less. The body is really rusty but the engine is good working condition. It has 190,000kms and the tranny is good as well. The engine from the junkyard itself is the same price so it makes more sense to buy the whole car. There are 2 vehicles that I could chose from. There was a 93 Sixty Special for sale and this Deville. The Sixty Special is more money and has more kms. This will be parted out after so I didn't want to do that to a Sixty Special. The Deville's interior is mint and the body is worthy for some parts. I can get some money back for the project from this as well. I will be planning to do this as a father-son project and eventually will get it down to Woodward. After I have a little fun with it I plan that I would sell it to earn money for college. The conversion isn't the most expensive and Fieros in this area seem to go for at least $2500 in unrestored condition. What do you think? This will be more unique than the Dakota which I want something unique in the first place.

Also on another note. While I was away for Easter, I found a vehicle that I never knew my family owned. It was sitting in my relative's garage. I was putting away some hockey equipment and I open their garage and what do I see. A 1970 Chevrolet C10. It had a custom paint job. Bluish or a purple. Sad thing was, the engine wasn't in it and the engine compartment was being used as a garbage can and it was filled. The interior was also filled with garbage but was good condition. There was also no rust in the pickup. The bed was also filled with their garbage. Sad thing is, I don't know when this can get an engine in it. The owner, my mom's cousin is hung over every day literally. He never knows anything and is going brain dead. We can't even get to stop him. It is his baby but he is too drunk to finish it. Meanwhile he is going around wrecking his Sunfire. So maybe it is a good thing he isn't driving the C10. I was so distraught by this sight because all the chrome was in tact and mint as well. It was an interesting find and maybe we can persuade him to finish it.

Fiero engine conversions are rather easy. Many engines do not require cutting the frame. One of the more popular conversions include the 350 small block Chevy V8. They have kits for it. V8 Archie.

More Fiero websites:

Pennocks Fiero Forum

Fiero.com

Fiero.org

Fiero Addiction

Fiero Pride

Fiero Driver

Fiero.net

Edited by blackviper8891

I will say this as nicely as I can but don't take offense if it comes out to harsh. You should not attempt this. If you don't know enough about engines to tell apart a Northstar (DOHC 4.6L V8) from a 4.5 PFI injected OHV V8 and you can't distinguish between a space framed Fiero and a BOF chassis then you can't possibly perform this swap easily.

That being said Pennock's Fiero forum would be a great place to start. I used to read there several times a week for a couple of years but since I forgot my password and the email I used to register is gone I don't read there anymore.

Things you should know: Fier= P-body. It is a space frame unibody chassis with plastic body panels. The panels will not rust but the chassis can. The original engines were either the 2.5 Iron Duke (3/4 speed auto or 5 speed stick) or a 2.8 60* V6. No other options.

Some common and fairly straightforward swaps:

SD4 (super 4 cylinder, could be had up to 3.7L of displacement, OHV basically half a tall deck Pontiac V8). Watch out blocks and parts are VERY rare and expensive!

3800 90* V6 (you can swap everything from the NA late 80s models through the Series III SC models with little difficulty. Harder to do if you want to use a stick otherwise pretty cheap, quick, and easy).

PFI Caddy V8s (All FWD from very late 80s through about 91. OHV all aluminum and tons of torque. Have to rewire a lot for thise one but not to hard).

Northstar sometimes written N* (DOHC all aluminum V8, few mods and pretty expensive but a great engine with tons of potential).

Quad 4 (DOHC I4 up to 180 hp stock. Few mods available and you have to use the tranny from the Quad but a very rev happy little motor with tons of power stock. Be sure to stock up on head gaskets).

Ecotec (not a lot have been done but the SC 2.0 from the Cobalt SS/Ion Redline should be a pretty easy fit, but lots of wiring. Same holds true for the 2.0T used in SAABs).

2.8T HF V6 60* (also a SAAB motor. Enough said turbo V6 Fiero. Lots of wiring and high cost but VERY cool).

SBC (really a fairly inexpensive swap with lots of potential. Just check out your trans adapter plate and make sure it is a quality peice.) Usually done by someone rather than an individual doing it.

Longitudinal FWD V8. Not a lot of these out there basically you cut out the trunk and swap in a FWD V8 from a big body GM car, Caddy 500/Olds 455. You need to use the stock transmission. Big downsides= no kits and big weight gain. Big plus side= wheelstands with no trouble.

There is a website with tips, etc on how to perform this swap. The guy who made the website also lives within a half an hour of me and he has recommended some places for parts, etc. I just didn't know whether or not this was unibody yet since many sports cars like the Corvette are BOF. For some reason I just didn't know when exactly the Northstars started however I knew it wasn't this early. I have just been told a bit that these were revised into the Northstars. A couple people who have come into my work have mentioned that they were Northstars and that confused me. The wiring instructions are available on the website as well as diagrams. Fiero V8

There is a website with tips, etc on how to perform this swap. The guy who made the website also lives within a half an hour of me and he has recommended some places for parts, etc. I just didn't know whether or not this was unibody yet since many sports cars like the Corvette are BOF. For some reason I just didn't know when exactly the Northstars started however I knew it wasn't this early. I have just been told a bit that these were revised into the Northstars. A couple people who have come into my work have mentioned that they were Northstars and that confused me. The wiring instructions are available on the website as well as diagrams. Fiero V8

The Fiero uses a space frame. But unlike the Corvette space frame it doesn't have independent frame rails. So you can say it is unibody. The 4.5L and 4.9L were PFI pushrod aluminum block and head V8s. The didn't make a lot of hp but made tons of torque. You can use carbs on them will a little modifications. The Northstars came out in 92 IIRC. They are 4.6L DOHC all aluminum V8s. The originals had 275 hp and later got 300 hp.

Dude, if you're gonna buy a first car try buying something that doesn't require assloads of work right off the bat. Buy something you can drive and live with without having to worry about breakdowns and so on.

Fieros GTs are sweet, but start small and work your way up to a project car after you have a daily driver.