Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

$1,000-$1,500 is about right for a dealership. Keep in mind that includes replacing the gaskets, changing the oil, draining the antifreeze and replacing it. An independent shop could pull it of for about half that.

Yep.

Though this is one of the few things I'd rather have GM parts for..

I've seen a shop do it and watch it blow again in 5,000 miles...

Wasn't there a TSB about this a while ago for the 3800 engines?

I've got the 3400.

I talked with a couple of guys today and they gave me the number of guy that works on cars on the weekends for some extra cash that has been doing this kind of work for a ton of people in the area. I guess he does good work too, so we'll see what I think of him when I stop by his place tonight.

Mr. Schramer, I hope this helps.

I paid $1152.34 at 114777.8 miles on my 3100, 1998 Lumina on January 14, 2005. That also included replacing the belt, coolant tank, and coolant pipes and an "Oil Change", which was like DUH.

Edited by smallchevy

Make sure if that guy that works on cars on weekends does a good job checking the head for cracks or warping or else you might be putting another new gasket on in the near future.

Talked to him tonight. He said he has done this same job about 30 times now with no compaints over the 3 years he has been doing it. Seems to check out with a couple people I have talked to in town. Also, he told me if I would like to, he knows of a shop that takes heads in and checks them out. He said it usually comes to about 600 once everything is said and done with an oil change and changing out the coolant and all that good stuff. I am going to talk to a couple more people tomorrow and let this guy know.

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of forgot to update in here. Getting it fixed by that guy who fixes cars part time. It took him about a week to get it done, but for about half the price. $567.49. Not bad I guess. Changing out the oil and a coolant flush were included. I have put on about 500 miles since I got it back and have changed out the oil and it is running great.

Glad to hear that your 3.4 is doing well. I've done a head job on 3.1 (same engine) for about 450, which included tune-up, replacement of hoses, having the heads reworked, changing the oil, replacing the thermostat, and more or less PM-ing the rest of the car. Overall, I made $238, the customer paid for the parts herself, all I did was the labor involved and take the heads to a local reputable machine shop. Parts, labor, and all can run high, 1100 is about right. One thing to remember about shops, even your dealership has two prices for parts. They have "cost" which is explanatory, that's what its going to cost them. Then they have "list" which is what they'll charge you, typically the list price is about 1.5-2.5 times what the actual cost of the part is. Now of course some shops won't charge you full list price if you're a good customer and the like, but most of them are going to make some money on the parts, just like they are on the labor. That's where a good part-time mechanic can be your best friend. He doesn't have the overhead that a traditional shop has, therefore his prices can be a helluva lot cheaper than your dealership that's gotta pay out what they pay out.

Which is why I do mechanic work on the side when I'm not selling parts....it not only helps pay the bills, but it gives me experience and lets me do something I like.

Edited by 76ChevyTrucker