GM gaining ground.

All of you naysayers can now say your sorry for knocking the W body Impala. It would seem people really don't care if it has an old platforn or which transmissinon when the total package is this great!

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...706240593/1014

Quote:

Chevy Impala, a popular fleet car, winning everyday buyers

June 24, 2007

BY KATIE MERX

FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

Beverly Brown didn't expect to be driving a Chevrolet Impala after her last lease ran out early this year.

But it turned out GM's best-selling car gave her more for her money than other deals she could find, she said.

"I've been driving a Ford for the last eight to 10 years," said Brown, 49, of Allen Park. "But when my lease was up in April, Ford didn't offer me any good deals. ... Then I saw an ad for an Impala lease for less than $300 a month."

Brown thought the car looked nice, and it fit her budget. It was so affordable, she said, she upgraded from the car offered in the ad.

"I added a moonroof and all the top-of-the-line amenities -- I still haven't figured them all out -- all for under $300 a month," Brown said.

General Motors Corp.'s sales numbers so far this year indicate Brown is part of a growing group of retail and commercial fleet customers the automaker is winning over with its now 2-year-old version of the Impala.

Sales of the midsize sedan were up 27% to 144,541 in the first five months of the year, compared with 114,014 a year ago. And while the roomy sedan long has been a staple of commercial, government and rental fleets -- analysts say fleet sales generate about half its sales -- GM said retail sales have provided the largest bump this year, with a 41% increase in year-over-year sales.

Analysts, dealers and customers say the Impala's big selling points are its low price and high fuel economy for its competitive segment.