Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Look what the stork just brought...

A few points before I get into the subject...

1 ... I had a good 4th of July.

2 ... I realized I really want to be a weather person ... be paid 100% of the time, even if I'm wrong. The forecast, of course, for the 4th of July called for clouds and rain. So, I believed them. Instead, we had mostly sunshine today. But, I didn't get the older 4 Monte Carlos out (they still have not seen road pavement in 2007); I took the time to travel to have lunch with some good friends ... and meet their new, 2-week-old daughter. Course, not much else on my list got accomplished ... go figure ;).

3 ... The trip to Freeport IL was a bit selfish of me, too ... because it's been a LONG time since I did a full-fledged "road trip". So, this mini-road trip (less than 2 hours one way) did me a world of good ... good to DRIVE a while again (and NOT be in traffic) ... good to see my friends from the 1st gen MC club ... and good to meet the newest person I can corrupt.

...which brings me to the topic ... kids. For some reason, most kids seem to love me ... and I can't explain it. I do my best to corrupt them, too...he he. Course, maybe my attempts are thwarted because the lil buggers know I love 'em, too....

*rolls eyes*

At the church I had attended (where my grandfather last pastored), the kids called me "cello man" (I play the cello).

College friends in Ohio have 2 boys, who, when I visited last August, discovered how fun it is to pop the bubbles (especially the big ones) that I was blowing. So, I outsmarted them. I blew a bunch of smaller ones. Then, while they (well, mostly the oldest boy) scurried to pop all of those, I blew some really big ones.

Other college friends in Tennessee now have 3 kids. Their eldest knows me the most, as I visit them at least once a year during my travels to Nashville/Jackson. In fact, she knows me too well. Last summer, after the MC Nationals just north of Nashville, I traveled to Jackson TN to visit them. Except, their eldest was in northern Indiana visiting some grandparents. My friends decided not to tell her I was going to be there, since they knew she'd want to come home to see me. Anyway, the night I was there, they did their nightly talk over the internet/camera. They had me stand back in the room, far enough back (so they thought) that she wouldn't see me. But, what were the first words out of her mouth? "Is that CORT back there?!?!" So much for that. He he.

I have some Monte Carlo-related buddies in various states whose kids keep asking when I'm going to see them again. Sadly, one of those I haven't seen in years. And, when they lived within an hour drive of me, I saw them a lot ... and, didn't realize how much their youngest thought of me. I need to find time to see them again.

Heh ... as I held Tori this afternoon, I told her parents that, in about 16-18 years, I'll be able to look her in the eye and tell her that I "held her when" she was just 2 weeks old. It is always weird to me when the older adults in my life can say, "I knew you when"; it'll be FUN to be able to return the favor with Tori and all of the other kids I know ;).

So ... do you get along with kids? Have any humorous stories to share?

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"You know we'll have a good time then" ... Harry Chapin ... 'Cats In The Cradle'

I'll loan you my sister's 4 boys (oldest is 14) for the weekend, that will fix you....... :lol:

Second oldest called 911 a couple years ago because he got grounded. Police took them all away for the night. My mother and other sister had to drive 2 1/2 hours to take them for the weekend until Child Services could complete their report.

Youngest decided to lay spread eagled on a Corvette we had in the show room two years ago while my sister was buying a Silverado from me: 4 years old and he didn't feel inhibited about climbing up on a car and laying down!!!!

I could go on, but I think you get the picture. The National Post did a great article a couple weeks back about a generation of brats who are growing up who feel "entitled," who were told they were "special" and now that they are becoming young adults they are unprepared for the rear world where their feelings are "hurt" and they will sue at the tiniest slight against their character. Ever see a Yuppie parent or (God forbid) Generation X parent negotiate with their 3 year old?

Get the feeling I don't like kids? When I used to have my own company, often parents would let their brats loose in the store and they would run up and down the aisles. I remember a parent giving me $h! because I barked at a kid who was about to get his head caught in the turnstile - after I'd told him 3 times to not play on it! Or how about going to an expensive restaurant (the local Keg Mansion) to have a nice, quiet dinner and the people at the next booth with their 4 year old who squirmed, fidgetted and refused to stay sitting. What were they thinking? Or how about at my partner's citizenship ceremony 3 weeks ago when two families of (I dare not say what nationality) were politely asked to leave into another chamber because their numerous spawn (and they only come in herds) were creating a fuss for the other 60 some-odd people.

GAD, I'm starting to sound like my grandfather!

I'll loan you my sister's 4 boys (oldest is 14) for the weekend, that will fix you....... :lol:

Second oldest called 911 a couple years ago because he got grounded. Police took them all away for the night. My mother and other sister had to drive 2 1/2 hours to take them for the weekend until Child Services could complete their report.

Youngest decided to lay spread eagled on a Corvette we had in the show room two years ago while my sister was buying a Silverado from me: 4 years old and he didn't feel inhibited about climbing up on a car and laying down!!!!

I could go on, but I think you get the picture. The National Post did a great article a couple weeks back about a generation of brats who are growing up who feel "entitled," who were told they were "special" and now that they are becoming young adults they are unprepared for the rear world where their feelings are "hurt" and they will sue at the tiniest slight against their character. Ever see a Yuppie parent or (God forbid) Generation X parent negotiate with their 3 year old?

Get the feeling I don't like kids? When I used to have my own company, often parents would let their brats loose in the store and they would run up and down the aisles. I remember a parent giving me $h! because I barked at a kid who was about to get his head caught in the turnstile - after I'd told him 3 times to not play on it! Or how about going to an expensive restaurant (the local Keg Mansion) to have a nice, quiet dinner and the people at the next booth with their 4 year old who squirmed, fidgetted and refused to stay sitting. What were they thinking? Or how about at my partner's citizenship ceremony 3 weeks ago when two families of (I dare not say what nationality) were politely asked to leave into another chamber because their numerous spawn (and they only come in herds) were creating a fuss for the other 60 some-odd people.

GAD, I'm starting to sound like my grandfather!

Back in the day if we even thought about calling that number, you got it for that, and if you did do it, you got it again when you saw your parents again.

Here are some funnies about what to do with children:

Irma Brown:

Mama:

SNL Nanny( Barbara Birmingham):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAEBJce2Yw8

Mrs.O and Mr.Walker fall in love:

Major Payne:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj1B5AeKnIY

Kids are great. I typically love being around them because they can definitely brighten your day, but they can also be a complete terror...

*nods*

Very true.

But, usually, the brightening of the day outshines the terror ... well, most of the time, anyway ;).

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"And suddenly we're all grown up" ... Alabama ... 'Cheap Seats'

Around here every brat has a cellphone with Children's Aid and a lawyer on the speed dialer. If you even look at one cross-eyed, you are hurting its feelings and could answer to the authorities. I wish I was joking.

I have seen these kids with their "time outs" and their "sharing of their feelings." It frightens me, in the way the Stepford Wives was eery. (The original, not the sad one from a few years ago.)